Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooo I'm new on here and I have a few questions :)

I am the proud owner of two Mini Aussies (Cougar and Jett). They are full brothers, Cougar is a 4 year old red merle and Jett is a 2 year old blue merle. I've just recently started Cougar back in agility after a 3 year break, and I'm thinking about getting Jett started too. Unfortunately, Jett is EXTREMELY reactive toward other dogs :/ not in an aggressive way, but he whines, pulls on his leash to the point where I think my arm is going to fly off, and just generally freaks out. The reason for this is that when my parents got Jett for my brother, thinking that the puppy would be as well-mannered as Cougar, I was not prepared for another dog. I was WAY too busy with dance/school and as the main dog authority in the house, things didn't turn out so well. I tried to teach my mom and brother what to do, but it was useless. My brother is a serious gamer and never took Jett outside to play, and my mom is completely clueless. He was never de-sensitized to outdoor stimuli, especially other dogs. Jett is VERY food motivated and I've taught him "watch me" but when another dog is around, he doesn't listen even when I'm holding a treat. How can I teach him to control himself around other dogs? I think that Jett would make an excellent agility dog once I get this under control, so please help me!

Also, what can I do to make Jett respect my mom and brother? I'm the only person that he listens to, and I don't think that's good for him mentally. All advice will be appreciated :)

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
welcome to the forum :) my best advice to you is to get a book called "control unleashed" by leslie mcdevitt.

have you seen this thread yet?
http://www.dogforum.com/dog-behavior/reactivity-leash-aggression-barrier-frustration-12538/

as far as getting him to "respect" your mom and brother, a lot of that has way more to do with them than it does the dog. i'm assuming that they have reinforced his behavior (intentional or not) to be what it is now, and they will have to be willing to change in order to get a different response from the dog. the best that you can do is teach the dog alternative behaviors to whatever he is doing that they don't like and repeat repeat repeat... maybe if they see what you are doing with him, they will be more likely to copy you.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Banned
4 Posts
I guess and suggest just wait and train your dog.Some dog has aggressive nature naturally that is why you are facing a problem.I think that the with the passage of time you will have a dog with a gentle behavior.Your post did not reflect a very worse situation so you should not be recommended of a trainer.You can solve this by your self.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts