Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We adopted a pitbull mix 3 years ago from the local humane society. The dog was estimated to be around 4-5 years old then so currently about 7-8 years old.

When we got the dog, Xion, he was already house trained and knew all basic commands. He listens very well and is very obedient with commands. We've never had any problems with him destroying things, having regular accidents or just generally doing things he shouldn't be doing. He LOVES to go on walks and to play and we do these things regularly with him. Up to date on shots and no problems found with him during regular check ups.

The major problem with Xion is that he constantly whines. And I mean constantly. We read over and over to ignore him when he whines and praise him when he stops. However, its hard to praise a dog when he never stops. The only time he doesn't do this is when walking or playing. We love him so much but this habit has seemed to be unbreakable the last 3 years and is getting progressively worse and annoying. It doesn't seem like happy "talking", its clearly anxiety. Even if you are sitting with him petting him he is whining.

We've mentioned this to the vet on several occasions and they repeatedly tell us its just a habit. However I feel that its much more than that. I feel like he is constantly distressed and anxious and I feel bad for him if he constantly feels that way. I'm not sure what to do for him anymore at this point. Sometimes he gets himself so worked up that it sounds like he is having a panic attack and can't calm himself down.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Have you tried thundershirts? Or consulted your vet about medication? If he's constantly anxious that sounds like he's in a lot of distress all the time and some intervention is needed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.