Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
My dog orphie was constipated for a couple days so I gave him organic canned pumpkin yesterday. He immediately went to the bathroom like normal next time he had to go. Ever since then he's been needing to go out to try to poop every 2 hours. This is an all day and all night thing. He goes out and sometimes he'll push out a little loose stool. Other times nothing comes out but he still tries. Today I gave him a sweet potato (everything I add is always mixed in with his dry food). I gave him half in the morning and half at dinner. He's still needing to go out every 2 hours and today is the second day this has gone on. I'm really confused as to whether he just has the runs and feels like he had to go or if he's still constipated? What can I do to help him?

·
Registered
221 Posts
He needs to go to the vet - he could have a blockage which could turn out to be serious.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He needs to go to the vet - he could have a blockage which could turn out to be serious.
This has happened once before where he needs to go out very often for a couple days and then he's back to normal. If it were a blockage wouldn't nothing be coming out???

·
Super Moderator
1,344 Posts
No, there could be a blockage and a little loose stuff gets past it but there is still a build up behind it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Loose stools can squeeze past a blockage. But the bottom line (pun not intended) is that we are not vets, and only your vet can ascertain that it's not a blockage.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Frankly IMO if it doesn't resolve in a day, I would get him to your Vet. It may be nothing, but if its serious, waiting too long could spell disaster.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts