Dog Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Me and my family are considering getting a dog. Heres a little bit of a backstory for our previous pets.

We had a dog named Nicki, she was abused by a man when she was younger so she had a giant fear of men and would run away scared. She ended up biting THREE people(probably should have put her down after the first bite) and nipped at my infant sister so we rehomed her. We had her for quite a few years.

Around 2012 we had gotten another dog from a rescue, her name was Sadie. Sadie was a loving dog but had extreme separation anxiety from my mother. If we crated her whether we were around or not, she would bark so much that she was covered in her own slober and pee. And if we left the house without her crated, she would scratch through doors(she ruined two doors by scratching through them) everything we tried to help with the anxiety and crate training wasn't working, we decided it would be best to give her back to the rescue we got her from. We had Sadie for about 8 months, her anxiety got worse the longer we had her.

I've been trying to talk to my cousin about possibly getting another dog and she has, in the past threatened to call Animal Control on us if we got another dog because she says we arent dog people. And she says people like "us"(my family) shouldn't be allowed to have dogs. We recently had to rehome our three cats due to my brother having severe allergies (it was literally seeing him and my 7 month old nephew or having cats. He wouldn't allow us to see him or my nephew while we had cats) ever since the cats have been gone, the house is almost unnervingly quiet. What do you guys think? Do you think we would be alright to get a dog? Thank you!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I think the very first thing you should do is ask your brother to get tested to see if he is allergic to dogs. If he is, either resign yourself to not seeing him or don't get a dog.

You should stop talking to your cousin. There is no need to fear animal control, if you get a dog and treat it well, they are not going to make any issues for you. But you do not need cousin drama.

If you do decide to get a dog, try to find a balanced, mellow dog, maybe an older dog that has not been abused and had a good family and perhaps outlived her family and was not dumped due to personality issues. (There isn't anything wrong with adopting a dog with issues, it is just that I think you need some mellow dogness in your life.)

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I agree with Lucille. The issues you had with your previous two dogs weren't your fault, they were behavioral and isn't always something every one can handle. And don't worry about your cousin, as long as your properly caring for your dog (and I think rehoming because you are not the right home for a dog is being responsible), animal control cant and wont do anything. Did she give you any actual sound reasons for why you shouldn't be allowed to have dogs?
If you do decide to get a dog, then maybe look for a mellower possibly older and or lower energy breed/mix. It might help to go through a rescue that does fostering so they have more of a idea of what the dog is like in a home setting.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My brother has two dogs of his own so dog allergies won't be a problem. Thank you for your input! I can't even bring up the subject of getting a dog with my cousin wither her saying people like us shouldn't even have animals. Like I'm sorry I didn't ask for your permission to get a pet in my own house.

·
Banned
283 Posts
Hi! Me and my family are considering getting a dog. Heres a little bit of a backstory for our previous pets.

We had a dog named Nicki, she was abused by a man when she was younger so she had a giant fear of men and would run away scared. She ended up biting THREE people(probably should have put her down after the first bite) and nipped at my infant sister so we rehomed her. We had her for quite a few years.

Around 2012 we had gotten another dog from a rescue, her name was Sadie. Sadie was a loving dog but had extreme separation anxiety from my mother. If we crated her whether we were around or not, she would bark so much that she was covered in her own slober and pee. And if we left the house without her crated, she would scratch through doors(she ruined two doors by scratching through them) everything we tried to help with the anxiety and crate training wasn't working, we decided it would be best to give her back to the rescue we got her from. We had Sadie for about 8 months, her anxiety got worse the longer we had her.

I've been trying to talk to my cousin about possibly getting another dog and she has, in the past threatened to call Animal Control on us if we got another dog because she says we arent dog people. And she says people like "us"(my family) shouldn't be allowed to have dogs. We recently had to rehome our three cats due to my brother having severe allergies (it was literally seeing him and my 7 month old nephew or having cats. He wouldn't allow us to see him or my nephew while we had cats) ever since the cats have been gone, the house is almost unnervingly quiet. What do you guys think? Do you think we would be alright to get a dog? Thank you!
Make sure you have the time and resources to put into the project is maybe the first thing to consider.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I also completely agree with getting an older, mellow rescue dog! I'm looking into getting a retired greyhound rescue sometime in the next few years, they are sweet dogs and basically couch potatoes past 5 or 6 years old.

·
Banned
283 Posts
I also completely agree with getting an older, mellow rescue dog! I'm looking into getting a retired greyhound rescue sometime in the next few years, they are sweet dogs and basically couch potatoes past 5 or 6 years old.
Different strokes for different folks I guess.
We got a rescue collie, a very active fellow, for that very reason. We walk for miles every day. The exercise and relaxation being out in the fresh air........

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for your replies! My friends parents actually foster dogs, so I can talk to them and get some input on dogs from them :)

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I agree your cousin is blowing this way out of proportion. Many people cannot handle dogs with serious emotional issues, and it sounds like you tried even if you didn't really know how to handle things. And while many animal people will call anyone who rehomes a pet a bad pet owner, they typically don't know how bad allergies can really be. I spent the first 5-6 years of my life with debilitating allergies and they aren't a joke, especially for small children. You rehomed your cats, you didn't dump them on the highway.

Like everyone else said, just do research and find a dog that fits your family, and maybe you can foster first to test it out with the people you know.

Reactions: Sabina88

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We've found a dog at my friends moms rescue! She recommended us to get a dog about 1 years old so that we would know most of the dogs background. We found a Terrier mix at her rescue that is 10 months old! All I've been doing for the last week is dog research! We are submitting an adoption application tonight so hopefully we get approved! :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello! We applied for a 1.5 year old Husky and Blue Heeler mix! We have been approved and she is coming over tomorrow morning for a sleep over to see how things go!!!! Wish us all luck! :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
We went and saw her and she was kinda nippy I guess? and a bit too strong for my mom to handle, so we ended up coming home with a 5 month old chihuahua and terrier mix!

·
Registered
26 Posts
There will be people that will think you "got rid" of your dogs, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Not every dog will work with every family and sometimes finding new homes is the kindest thing you could do for everyone, even the dog. I do agree that maybe you should research and find the perfect dog for your situation. Don't give up, the perfect dog is out there.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts