Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy has been on purina puppy chow because we can't afford big name brands but she gets sick and throws up at least once or twice a week she did go last week without getting sick but started gagging today I thought it was just when she ate something bad but wondering if it could e food the first 2 weeks I had her it was fine she throws up every week or every couple weeks could it be the dog food and what's a better brand I can switch her to when hers runs out we pay 11$ for a 16 pound bag now I want something cheap that will last her a while so I don't have to buy multiple bags a month when she is older I can't afford much more then what I'm paying now. I don't want to pay more then 20$ for a 40 pound bag or less any ideas

·
Registered
77 Posts
Pedigree is supposed to be a pretty good brand that is inexpensive. You might be able to switch to that, just make sure you do it gradually so it doesn't cause your dog to have diarrhea.

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pedigree has been known recently to contain Wire in the dogfood which worries me and the ingredients are so similar I'm not sure if it will change anything. I'm not even sure if the food is causing the vomiting because its not everyday but she has been to the vet and has had fecals which were negative for worms

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
You could try blue, its a better quality food, and its not so expensive. Also try a different protean, one that she hasn't had before.

Are you sure she's not getting into something every once and awhile that's making her through up?

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I think it is going to be very tough to find a high quality dog food in that size for that cheap. I live in Canada, so I think generally things are a little bit more expensive for us. I pay 80 dollars for a 30 pound bag of Taste of the Wild, which lasts Levi a little over a month. I wanted to switch to Orijen which is more expensive, so he can't have it. I'm looking into Acana though, which is even more expensive than ToTW.

Have you considered looking on Chewy? It generally sells food for much cheaper than the pet stores, and they have a wide range of foods available. If they shipped to Canada (which they don't waah), I would use it all the time.

Reactions: Sabina88

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
My puppy has been on purina puppy chow because we can't afford big name brands but she gets sick and throws up at least once or twice a week she did go last week without getting sick but started gagging today I thought it was just when she ate something bad but wondering if it could e food the first 2 weeks I had her it was fine she throws up every week or every couple weeks could it be the dog food and what's a better brand I can switch her to when hers runs out we pay 11$ for a 16 pound bag now I want something cheap that will last her a while so I don't have to buy multiple bags a month when she is older I can't afford much more then what I'm paying now. I don't want to pay more then 20$ for a 40 pound bag or less any ideas
usually if a dog is intolerant of a food they show it almost daily. If it's only once a week, i'd be looking into other possible causes just incase.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Gosh your food is cheap compared to here in Aus! $120 for a 20kg bag that lasts a little over two weeks for my two (Black Hawk)

·
Registered
734 Posts

I don't know how old your puppy is but if she is old enough for adult you could try Fromm Classic . it is excellent . I give this to my dogs and they are doing great .. They do have a puppy formula Puppy Gold (pink bag ) but it is a bit more expensive .. I buy mine on Dog and Cat Food, Treats, and Supplies | Free Shipping at Chewy.com

Fromm Family Classics Adult Formula Dry Dog Food, 33-lb bag

·
Registered
455 Posts
Try Purina Beyond Simply 9 or Canidae, those are by far the best food at the best price I have found. They are just slightly more than you want to pay but not much, about $25 for a 15lb bag or I know the Canidae is about $48 for a 44lb bag some places, but some places it is closer to $42 for a 30lb bag(if you can find the 44lbs it is by far the best deal!). So if you can afford to buy in bulk it is slightly cheaper. Maybe you can afford that? You won't find much cheaper. I highly recommend either of those though. Best of luck in you search and remember to switch foods gradually.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I don't want to pay more then 20$ for a 40 pound bag or less any ideas
You typically won't find any quality food for that cheap.

4Health is a fairly good food. I believe it's only sold at Tractor Supply stores?
There are other comparable foods in the same price range as 4Health.

Some foods I'll never touch again.

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know we have it here I have seen it at tractor supply and I know a pit bull rescue who buys it for all their fosters.. the 16 pound back of purina I have has lasted so far over a month and I still have alot left so I can handle the cost of 4 health

1 - 14 of 14 Posts