Dog Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody here have any experience with a dog who has this condition?

I started fostering this little Chihuahua mix right after Thanksgiving. He came from the south, and had heartworm (which he was on slow-kill treatment for), and he was also very skinny. He had a terrible cough, and he did not seem so good, but his condition greatly improved after a week or so of fostering him. His cough totally went away, and he was more perky and active, even though he was still extremely thin.

However, his abdomen started getting a "pot bellied" look, and then his legs and chest began to fill with fluid. I brought him to the vet, and they said it was congestive heart failure, gave me meds, and told me not to be surprised if he didn't make it. Well, okay then. I took him home and hoped for the best. I don't recall what medicine he was on, but it helped him immensely. In two weeks time, he lost the fluid and pot bellied abdomen. When his medicine was finished though, he soon started to regain just a little bit of a pot bellied look, so I took him in again. They kept him for a week, and I have not seem till today.

He now looks worse. He's on medicine for it, but his abdomen is VERY large now. He also had some fluid in his legs/feet, but not to horrible. He seems to be breathing more labored as well, but he still has no cough. I just don't understand how he went from looking really good, to looking horrible in the span of time he was at the vets. He's also contracted giardia now, which he is on meds for.

I am just wondering what other people's experience was with this condition. He's only 7yrs old, but you'd think he's older with the amount of health problems he is having. I am about 99% sure i'm just going to keep him, but I am scared that he'll get very ill and my family does not have $1000 to spend on emergency vet bills. /: The shelter staff and vet don't seem very hopeful that he has a long time to live, but I am not sure. As I said, any comments or support are appreciated. I am not worried about him not having a long time to live...I will gladly give him the attention and care he needs, even if it's only days/weeks/months he has left. I just worry that this condition will become too expensive to keep up with.

·
Banned
231 Posts
Anybody here have any experience with a dog who has this condition?

I started fostering this little Chihuahua mix right after Thanksgiving. He came from the south, and had heartworm (which he was on slow-kill treatment for), and he was also very skinny. He had a terrible cough, and he did not seem so good, but his condition greatly improved after a week or so of fostering him. His cough totally went away, and he was more perky and active, even though he was still extremely thin.

However, his abdomen started getting a "pot bellied" look, and then his legs and chest began to fill with fluid. I brought him to the vet, and they said it was congestive heart failure, gave me meds, and told me not to be surprised if he didn't make it. Well, okay then. I took him home and hoped for the best. I don't recall what medicine he was on, but it helped him immensely. In two weeks time, he lost the fluid and pot bellied abdomen. When his medicine was finished though, he soon started to regain just a little bit of a pot bellied look, so I took him in again. They kept him for a week, and I have not seem till today.

He now looks worse. He's on medicine for it, but his abdomen is VERY large now. He also had some fluid in his legs/feet, but not to horrible. He seems to be breathing more labored as well, but he still has no cough. I just don't understand how he went from looking really good, to looking horrible in the span of time he was at the vets. He's also contracted giardia now, which he is on meds for.

I am just wondering what other people's experience was with this condition. He's only 7yrs old, but you'd think he's older with the amount of health problems he is having. I am about 99% sure i'm just going to keep him, but I am scared that he'll get very ill and my family does not have $1000 to spend on emergency vet bills. /: The shelter staff and vet don't seem very hopeful that he has a long time to live, but I am not sure. As I said, any comments or support are appreciated. I am not worried about him not having a long time to live...I will gladly give him the attention and care he needs, even if it's only days/weeks/months he has left. I just worry that this condition will become too expensive to keep up with.
first of all. You're an angel

Listen - This is a result of the heartworms and the horrible people that didn't care for him and congestive heart failure is serious - I think it's basically a murmur due to damage from the heartworm(s) and there are different levels. I know the meds can improve the stage/level and extend a dogs life significantly. I would read up on Pet MD and learn about it.

I am also sorry for the dog, 7 years is just too young to pass away. I wish that I could kiss that dog :( I love that you're keeping him. Not sure what you can do outside of the medication though. Hopefully the good people on here will have some experience with it. I really hope the best for the dog and I thank you for allowing him to live with you. Just love on him as much as you can.

This is why it's so important to check out people's vet records and make sure they kept their dogs on heartworm preventative prior to adopting out to an applicant.

Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't have any experience in this, but I just wanted to say how amazing it is that you took this little guy in and are caring for him with so much love and compassion. I pray that he lives a long, happy, healthy life, and thank you for giving him so much love, patience, and attention while he's still here. He is lucky to have you as an owner, and if by chance he doesn't make it much longer, you have earned your angel wings for caring so deeply for a pet that was obviously neglected and needed someone like you.
My thoughts and prayers will be with you during this rough time. Please keep us updated on his health. God bless you and your dog. What a wonderful gift you have given him, regardless of what happens. Every pet needs and deserves a compassionate person like you in their life.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I would seek a second opinion from a different vet. Maybe even a third.

Did that vet even run any tests on him? What did they do with him when they had him for that week?
^^^ Ditto.

I'm sorry your dog is ill but I too would get another opinion. Hoping for the best for you and your dog.

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
As others have said, another vet asap!

As a survivor myself of heart failure I know for certain that that vet should have put that pup on diuretics immediately. They help the body rid of excess fluid. They work very affectedly.
Fluid builds up around the heart and lungs.
The body actually drowns itself.

On second thought, to the animal hospital.

Good luck!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"Did that vet even run any tests on him? What did they do with him when they had him for that week?"

Okay, I don't want to drastically switch the topic, but I can say with much certainty that I do not trust or like taking my fosters to this vet. The vet is on the same premises on the shelter, and since he is my foster, I HAVE to take him to these vets. /:

When I brought him over, they did x-rays and took blood, those were the only things they did to him. They could tell from the bloodwork that the worms were decomposing, and they told me that from the x-ray they could see that one side of his heart was not functioning properly. They told me that they did not know if this was because of the heart failure, or if it was because the decomposing worms were trying to make there way out, and were clogging his heart. They told me I needed to leave him there because he needed someone to monitor his activities, his food/water intake, and they said he needed fluids because he was dehydrated. I was crying when I left him, because I did not trust they would provide good care to him. I came back the next day, at one in the afternoon, and his cage was NEVER cleaned, he had the same blanket from the day i'd left him there and it was saturated in pee. He also had no new food and NO water. I came back at three, and still nothing, so I got him a new blanket and gave him food/water.

I was unable to check up on him for the next several days. I then was told on Tuesday that he was back at the shelter...the vet techs TOOK him back over to the shelter, because he was hard to medicate (he does not like to be forced medicine, and will bite), and he was placed in an area where there are puppies SICK with giardia, so he then contracted that. I was never called, and I was never told what his prognosis was AT ALL. I am going to talk to them on tuesday, and see what they have to say about it, and I am going to complain because I am enraged in which the way he was treated. Beyond that, I was sent home with Salix (a once daily pill) and a bottle of liquid doxycycline.

I want to take him to a trustworthy vet, and that is my goal. The issue is, that Luis is not technically mine yet. I have not done the paperwork, because once he is mine I will no longer get free vet care for him (even if the vet care is ****ty). I want the absolute best for him, but I don't know how to get another $600-700 for his veterinary care. My family is not cheap by any means, we do what we have to do when our animals are sick and in need. The problem is that my parents just spent roughly $2000 on our personal dog of 14 years, as he got extremely ill. Sadly, he did not make it. It's just the financial costs that are preventing me from getting another opinion right now, but I am going to see what I can do and try to get him another vets opinion.

I appreciate all the kind words and well wishes. Luis is not looking any better physically, but he is in much better spirits now that he is back home, so I am hoping to see him get better and I am hoping that one day he can lead a somewhat normal life, even if his time is limited.

·
Banned
231 Posts
"Did that vet even run any tests on him? What did they do with him when they had him for that week?"

Okay, I don't want to drastically switch the topic, but I can say with much certainty that I do not trust or like taking my fosters to this vet. The vet is on the same premises on the shelter, and since he is my foster, I HAVE to take him to these vets. /:

When I brought him over, they did x-rays and took blood, those were the only things they did to him. They could tell from the bloodwork that the worms were decomposing, and they told me that from the x-ray they could see that one side of his heart was not functioning properly. They told me that they did not know if this was because of the heart failure, or if it was because the decomposing worms were trying to make there way out, and were clogging his heart. They told me I needed to leave him there because he needed someone to monitor his activities, his food/water intake, and they said he needed fluids because he was dehydrated. I was crying when I left him, because I did not trust they would provide good care to him. I came back the next day, at one in the afternoon, and his cage was NEVER cleaned, he had the same blanket from the day i'd left him there and it was saturated in pee. He also had no new food and NO water. I came back at three, and still nothing, so I got him a new blanket and gave him food/water.

I was unable to check up on him for the next several days. I then was told on Tuesday that he was back at the shelter...the vet techs TOOK him back over to the shelter, because he was hard to medicate (he does not like to be forced medicine, and will bite), and he was placed in an area where there are puppies SICK with giardia, so he then contracted that. I was never called, and I was never told what his prognosis was AT ALL. I am going to talk to them on tuesday, and see what they have to say about it, and I am going to complain because I am enraged in which the way he was treated. Beyond that, I was sent home with Salix (a once daily pill) and a bottle of liquid doxycycline.

I want to take him to a trustworthy vet, and that is my goal. The issue is, that Luis is not technically mine yet. I have not done the paperwork, because once he is mine I will no longer get free vet care for him (even if the vet care is ****ty). I want the absolute best for him, but I don't know how to get another $600-700 for his veterinary care. My family is not cheap by any means, we do what we have to do when our animals are sick and in need. The problem is that my parents just spent roughly $2000 on our personal dog of 14 years, as he got extremely ill. Sadly, he did not make it. It's just the financial costs that are preventing me from getting another opinion right now, but I am going to see what I can do and try to get him another vets opinion.

I appreciate all the kind words and well wishes. Luis is not looking any better physically, but he is in much better spirits now that he is back home, so I am hoping to see him get better and I am hoping that one day he can lead a somewhat normal life, even if his time is limited.
Can you set up a donation page for him? Explain in detail what's going on. I will donate and hopefully other people can too. I think you can do it on FB.

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
I am really upset from reading about that Vet. It sounds like he/she is just there for a paycheck and really has no regards for the animals.

There is such a thing as care credit...I'd call around to other trustworthy vets to see if they participate in that program.

One more thing, in heart failure, the right side of the heart enlarges and does not function properly, that is probably what they saw.

I wish one of our vets here at Dog Forum that are members would give you advice, I can only talk about heart failure in humans, but my vet told me they are alike.
My good thoughts are with you.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I'm so sorry that your foster pup is not doing well. It seems to me that the vet that has seen him is not treating him with appropriate medication.

I'm not sure what Salix is. I can't find it when I google that name. Doxycycline is only used to treat the bacteria that MAY be carried by the heartworm. I don't see any treatment for the giardia which is usually metronidazole.

If your pup has congestive heart failure he needs to be on a diuretic for sure and most likely a medication that makes it easier for the heart to pump the blood into the circulation. That would be the minimum he should be on for heart failure. The diuretics and heart medication will need to be adjusted up or down depending on his symptoms. It means frequent vet trips initially until the dosing is established. The vet you saw obviously wrote off your pup and treated him accordingly.

Also, the fact that he was put in with dogs that had a known parasite is just awful! Poor guy.

I would complain about the veterinary care that he received as it doesn't appear to be sufficient or appropriate. See if by complaining the rescue would allow you to take the pup to another vet for a second opinion.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Salix is a brand name for furosemide ( Lasix) which is a diuretic. He should be on that for the rest of his life. 01 Furosemide (Salix, Disal) - VeterinaryPartner.com - a VIN company! It is inexpensive. Other meds might include enalapril, digoxin which are fairly inexpensive. And Vetmedin which is expensive. I am so sorry for both of you. If you can afford to and if the shelter will allow you get him to another vet. I do not know this shelters financial situation but unfortunately sometimes money is spread thin.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Salix is a brand name for furosemide ( Lasix) which is a diuretic. He should be on that for the rest of his life. 01 Furosemide (Salix, Disal) - VeterinaryPartner.com - a VIN company! It is inexpensive. Other meds might include enalapril, digoxin which are fairly inexpensive. And Vetmedin which is expensive. I am so sorry for both of you. If you can afford to and if the shelter will allow you get him to another vet. I do not know this shelters financial situation but unfortunately sometimes money is spread thin.
Thanks Agility Collie Mom. I tried googling the name Salix but didn't have it give me the results for Lasix. I agree that on top of the diuretic (lasix/Salix) he should be on a medication like enalapril or another ACE inhibitor as these are fairly inexpensive. This type of medication helps the heart not have to work so hard in pumping the blood out of the body which is helpful in a heart that is tired.

Just as an aside, did the vet explain what congestive heart failure is and how it acts on your foster pup's body?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello everyone, sorry I have not checked back on this thread lately. You guys are all so wonderful with the advice and support.

Unfortunately, Luis was humanely euthanized on Thursday. I brought him in for a re-check. He was acting very lethargic, was drinking a lot of water at night (and then throwing it up from drinking too much too fast), and his pot-bellied look was not going away, and he began to get fluid buildup all over again in his legs and chest. The veterinarian said that the Salix should be helping these problems, and it looked like he was making no progress at all. He stuck a needle in his belly and pulled out some of the fluid to show me, and it was VERY blood tinged. He said the last time they pulled fluid, it was clear. He exclaimed to me that he could have cancer, and his condition would not improve. He said he should be put to sleep, and I said okay. I held him in his final moments, so he did not go alone. He left knowing unconditional love. Luis (who HATES vets and needles) did not fight the vet or anything; he was so calm and well about it, that I feel like it was his time. Another part of me feels that I was rushed to make that deicision, and I can't help but wonder if I should have held on to him longer.

Again, I thank ALL of you for the support. I was so blessed to foster Luis, I just wish I could have done something more for him. He was a very special little man to me, and i'll never forget him.

·
Banned
231 Posts
Hello everyone, sorry I have not checked back on this thread lately. You guys are all so wonderful with the advice and support.

Unfortunately, Luis was humanely euthanized on Thursday. I brought him in for a re-check. He was acting very lethargic, was drinking a lot of water at night (and then throwing it up from drinking too much too fast), and his pot-bellied look was not going away, and he began to get fluid buildup all over again in his legs and chest. The veterinarian said that the Salix should be helping these problems, and it looked like he was making no progress at all. He stuck a needle in his belly and pulled out some of the fluid to show me, and it was VERY blood tinged. He said the last time they pulled fluid, it was clear. He exclaimed to me that he could have cancer, and his condition would not improve. He said he should be put to sleep, and I said okay. I held him in his final moments, so he did not go alone. He left knowing unconditional love. Luis (who HATES vets and needles) did not fight the vet or anything; he was so calm and well about it, that I feel like it was his time. Another part of me feels that I was rushed to make that deicision, and I can't help but wonder if I should have held on to him longer.

Again, I thank ALL of you for the support. I was so blessed to foster Luis, I just wish I could have done something more for him. He was a very special little man to me, and i'll never forget him.
damn this brings a tear to my eye. I'm so sorry.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am 58 years old, and was diagnosed with heart failure over a year ago. My main symptoms was fatigue, shortness of breath, and a general sense that these symptoms will keep me out of normal life activities, my symptom was not being able to breathe when lying down basically . I’ve kind of resigned to the fact that this is how life will be for me back until I found herbs that stop this CHF easily and relief all the airways. My wife and her caregiver assume I can't be as active, and thus I was excused from normal life responsibilities but natural herbs from [edited]. com really helped a but sometimes I think is God prodigy that I was able to treat my congestive heart failure but total cure herbs foundation herbal formula has a big impact on my recovery because my heart condition has been fully eliminate. They do things for me, and was too happy to comply with their service. This is a equitable of a way to get of your heart failure.

·
Super Moderator
1,289 Posts
@glencharles I am glad you have found such a good solution. I'm afraid I have had to edit your post as links to websites that advertise are not permitted: and also dogs don't metabolise medications in the same way as humans so what worked for you might not work for a dog. Thank you for your understanding.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts