Dog Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our little dog Lego (Chihuahua/ Pomeranian mix) was recently diagnosed with Advanced Congestive Heart Failure. He is a very old man (12+ but our vet thinks he may be older than but since he was a rescue we have no way to know for sure) and has had a good run. He is on medication for his heart and yes, I know that even with this it is very likely that he has a year or less. He also has a large amount of fluid in is abdomen. He is usually trim and fit and now he looks like he is prego. The Vet also put him on Lasix but while that worked at first and he began to look like his normal self again the swelling is back.

So, here are my questions:

1. What medications should I ask my vet about? Have any of you delt with this situation? What did your vet prescribe and how well did it work for you?

2. What is the best way to make him comfortable? He doesn't seem to be in any pain, but we want to make his life as easy as possible.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Your vet may need to adjust the Lasix dose if it was effective at first, but nowhere seems to not be enough. You may also want to ask your vet about doing an abdocentesis to drain off some of the excess fluid buildup in his abdomen.

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
We have had a couple clients who's dogs needed regular draining. They come in once a week to once a month (depending on how fast the fluid builds up) and we would basically use needles and drain the fluid. You can ask about possibly doing that.

I'm not sure what other diuretics are available. I know sometimes vets will adjust the lasix dose. If we have a CHF dog come in struggling, they get a heavy dose of IV lasix to help alleviate the symptoms, even if they're already on it. So you can ask about adjusting his dose of lasix to be a bit higher.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you. I need to call our vet today anyway since Lego was to stop the Lasix today. I will ask him about a larger dose. We had talked about draining the fluid before but he thought that it was a lot of protein to lose for such a small dog. I will ask him about it again and see if he thinks differently this time. I know he is trying to be delicate with Lego since he has other issues as well (seizures, usually triggered by food coloring. but we keep those pretty well managed with his diet).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts