Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I am new here and my dog, Molly was just diagnosed with congestive heart failure last week. She is a maltese-poodle mix we got at a shelter and she is either 12 or 13 now. She was prescribed vetmedin, lasix, and tussigon for the coughing, which is making her a bit lethargic. I am still reeling from the diagnosis and have done so much research my mind is spinning. For anyone who had a dog with this problem, did you do anything regarding their diet? I.e. make their food? Or did you add supplements that could be used along with their meds?

I know that she needs to stay away from sodium, but it seems many vets don't get much training regarding nutrition and only say to keep her on low sodium dog food. I am aware my sweet girl may live, at most, between 6 months and one year, but would appreciate any suggestions that may help keep her as healthy as possible while on these drugs. I found a couple of videos on youtube and I prepared homemade dog food yesterday that she seems to love. Any way, if you have any heart-healthy recipes or tips, that would be great! Thank you in advance! Cheryl

·
Super Moderator
396 Posts
I can't help with the diet but I hope you find something for her. I did want to give you the heads up though that sometimes heart medications make dogs wee a lot so be prepared for extra garden trips or possibly accidents.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Joanne, She is definitely urinating more so we are keeping pee pads out which she is using every night. My concern is that because she is peeing more she is losing nutrients which puts a strain on her kidneys and I read it's good to give her a potassium supplement? Just trying to figure all this out so she is as comfortable as possible. It is a difficult time for us. She is our baby.....as I am sure you know. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Cheryl, sorry to hear about your dog's diagnosis. I don't have any experience with that disease, but I think it's a good idea to look into supplements and homemade food especially because she's older. There's CBD if she's in pain, Buddy Custard based on the budwig protocol, etc. Just do some research into what might be helpful for her. Overall give her as much love and care as you can and make her comfortable and happy as can be which I'm sure you've already been doing. Glad to know that your first attempt at homemade dog food went well and she liked it! Just keep that up and be alert for any changes in her so you can take her to vet if needed. Best of luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts