Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been told to teach "down" by putting my dog in sit position and then bringing the treat lower to the ground so when she reaches for it she ends up lying down. However, I've never found this to work. The dog always just stands and puts her head down to reach the treat.
With my previous dog I assumed it was cause she was stupid, and ended up forcing her into a down position once and that was all it took.
My current dog, though, I'm wondering if it's because when she lies down naturally, she doesn't lie down like most dogs. She curls up into a tiny ball. Is it possible that I'm asking her to move into an unfamiliar position and that is where the confusion is stemming from? Or am I using a bad method? Is there another method people suggest?

·
Registered
871 Posts
Kota does the same thing. He just curls into a ball. I found that bringing the treat down and towards me was the way to get him to do it. If they stand up again you can break it down into small steps.

Step One: Sit, then nose to ground following treat, treat
Step Two: sit, nose to ground and then towards you, if they follow a little bit out without standing up, treat
Step three: sit, nose to ground, towards you a little farther, they have to crouch down, treat
Step four : sit, nose to ground towards you even farther than step three, treat
Step five : sit, nose to ground, towards you until they lay down, treat and happy party!

Kota still doesn't do it well but this has been the ONLY way that has worked for him so far. He is very unmotivated and doesn't have any desire to please. Gotta love that chow chow in him. Yet with tiny baby steps its working. If you have to add in ten more steps between the steps 1-5 then do it. If the dog has trouble with continuing to get out of the sit go back a step until they can do it well.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He is very unmotivated and doesn't have any desire to please. Gotta love that chow chow in him.
My former dog was half chow, and that was definitely a thing. I never did any training with her after I found out how unmotivated she was. No interest in treats, got bored before she learned anything. Sit was the furthest she got, and even that she'd only do for something good, like a plate full of turkey. She was a good dog, though, and didn't really need any training.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Kota is part chow, my BF got him from craigslist when he was a puppy, so who knows what else he is but he does have a blue tongue!

He is fearful of strangers in our house and very reactive to men in our house. He is mildly DA and can be a hassle to handle. So I feel like I really should work with him but it isn't easy at all! He will sit, speak and shake which is all my boyfriend taught him. Then he only does it when bribed. So I'm working on removing the bribe but that isn't easy either. He doesn't have a come, lay down (working on it) or go to bed which I feel are pretty needed commands for him.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My Chow/Akita had a blue tongue. I got her when she was older (6) and pretty settled. She was a sweetie, and really didn't need a lot of training in order to manage, but it was frustrating that there wasn't that option. Her biggest issues were anxious peeing in the house (if we left her alone in a room, or left the house without putting her in her crate). She was never crate trained so getting her in the crate was always a hassle. She got into fights with other dogs sometimes and was very vicious when that happened. Otherwise, she was pretty easy going.

What's DA?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Poppy has this problem. Learning to sit was easy, but when I lured the treat down she would stand up. She didn't understand what to do. This is where clicker training is really awesome. I clicked tiny progressions that brought her closer and closer to the ground. Once she 'got it', it was easy. If she has to follow a lure for too long she gets confused.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My dog Liam is a chow x black mouth cur x rhodesian ridgeback and is SUPER smart. He learned to sit, down and stay in one session each.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
I've never managed to teach any of my dogs down by putting them in a sit and luring them. Each of them has invariably stood back up and moved towards the treat.

Jersey and Shadow I taught by physically making them lay down.

Zody I taught by using the technique in the video that Agility Collie Mom posted and it worked great.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Luring from a sit with a treat worked for me. . . my dog learned down that way pretty quickly when he was 3-4 months. I guess I got lucky :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Those are the methods I always used. Try putting your hand over the dogs bum/back. Don't push down but just to stop the dog from getting up.

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts