Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to use both a long-term confinement area and crate training without totally confusing the puppy?

I was all set to just crate train our cockapoo puppy we will be getting soon. I assumed I would keep him in the crate at night and while I am at work and have someone come in after 3 hours to let him out of the crate. I was planing on having a playpen area indoors for him to play in a safely contained area when I can't give him 100% of my attention, but not encourage him to toilet in there.

I then started reading about having a long-term confinement area for when I am at work and thinking if I did this, I could save the $$ I am paying the person to come after 3 hours. I am only gone for 6 hours during the day. So I am wondering if I set up a long-term confinement area for those 6 hours, will the puppy be confused about peeing inside (on the pads) when I'm gone and peeing outside when I'm home? How does he learn that it's only OK to pee inside when he is in his pen area?

My plan would be anytime I am home, there would NOT be pee pads in the play area and I would make sure to take him out very frequently.

Also, how do you discourage the puppy from chewing on/playing/shredding the pee pads?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
813 Posts
I think that leaving a puppy for 6 hours is too long. I'd be surprised if he didn't need to toilet in that time. Also it's very boring. Puppies eat, toilet, play and investigate and then keel over and go to sleep. When they wake up it starts again - toilet, eat, play, sleep etc.

Also, puppies are used to having company all their lives, suddenly, plucked away from everything familiar, they are expected to be on their own. They need to learn to be happy in their own company. Different puppies need different lenghts of time. Cockapoos are very intelligent and energetic, so I wouldn't expect one to adapt to confinement without some protestation.

The only way I found stopping puppy pads from being shredded was - to get rid of them. :D

Good luck, come back and keep us in the picture please.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts