Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy just got spayed- the vet did a great job, the incision site is very small, shut with glue, very minimal irritation. She's bounced back to her own self today and our only issue is keeping her from running/jumping/playing rough with our other dog.

We had a rough night last night, though- I forced her to sleep in the cone, and she slept on and off, but she sleeps in bed with me and kept waking me up by hitting me in the face with it as she tried to climb under the covers where she usually sleeps. She woke me up at least 4 times. We took a nap together later in the day and I forgot about the cone and she slept the whole time, we were on the couch so if she'd moved she'd have woken me up.

She hasn't tried to lick or bother her incision all day- not even once.

I really doubt she would suddenly want to do so. She hasn't ever been a big licker (of paws, her privates, etc).

My question- do you think she'd be ok without the cone or should I not risk it? I just would really like for both of us to be more comfortable tonight...

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
I can only tell you our experience with Samantha when she was spayed. I asked the Vet about the 'cone', and she said she disliked using it, unless it was absolutely necessary, as dogs often became very depressed wearing it. We had no problem with Samantha, she never once went after her incision, or even acted like anything happened. Having said that, I would caution you to be careful and if you take the cone off, only do it when you are watching her constantly, so you can put it back on if necessary. Our experience, was that it didn't take long for that wound to heal.

·
Registered
502 Posts
None of my dogs used the cone of shame, and none bothered their incisions. I always thought it was only for if they started bothering it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
When we fostered Javva he'd just been neutered and had no cone. After a few days I heard him licking in the night, and in the morning saw what he'd been doing. :( He ended up with a terrible infection, apparently it's after several days of healing that the wound really starts getting itchy.

Jav hated the cone, and with his long neck and acrobatic abilities he managed to lick anyways, but only after slicing a new wound next to the first one with the edge of the cone.

If she starts to lick or you have to go out and don't want to use the cone, you could get a child's onesie for her, and just cut a hole for her tail - depends how big your dog is though!

Another option is a soft barrier. Before we took Jav to the vet and got a cone, I stuffed a tshirt inside a tube sock, and stitched it into an 'o' shape, then popped it over Jav's head. Worked fantastically, and after the cone disaster I put him back in the sock and he was happy with it. Wasn't pretty, but it let him be comfortable and kept his wound safe.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
I never used a cone with mine and never had issues.

Just be careful. It doesn't take much licking for an incision site to get inflamed, infected or to start dehiscing. And you have to also remember that just because she's not bothering it now doesn't mean she won't. Wounds itch as they heal. So it might get more tempting to itch later on.

You could instead try putting on a loose t-shirt of some kind to cover the incision and protect it. There are canine medical suits available. A child's t shirt may work just as well if you can find one the right size. Goodwill is a great place to get small kids clothing for cheap.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Our vet gave my dog this with a cloth on the incision to cover it up:

She tried to lick it a couple times but gave up because she couldn't get to it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts