Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In about 2 months our puppy Unna will be getting spayed. She had her final vacccines today, woohoo! I asked about spaying. They said she will have to wear a head cone collar for 10 days after!! I'm a little freaked out over that. I cannot imagine how we will manage keeping this frenetic, bossy girl in a collar like that for ten days. How will she sleep? How will she stay in her crate while we work? Is this normal for spaying? I thought with new technology...I dunno what I thought. I just have a hard time picturing this dog staying in a collar like that for ten days.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
They're able to sleep fairly easily. They just put their heads down and the cone allows it. And as long as she can fit in her crate with the cone she'll be ok in it. If she struggles to fit in the crate with the cone then maybe section off a place in the kitchen or laundry room for her to stay. The instructions your vet gave you are normal, and it has nothing to do with technology. Dogs will always want to chew stitches! If you want you can try a "soft" cone that you can get at the pet store, but I would advise against the looking ones if she has any bit of a snout. We got them for our dogs and they could both reach their injuries/stitches. It's also necessary to keep your dog somewhat inactive for at least a week because the spay incision is quite large and easy to burst opened. It's a hard week but you can manage. Get her kongs and stationary toys she can use to occupy her mind so she doesn't drive you nuts. They get used to the cone surprisingly well, even if they're miserable about it.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
It may not be necessary. When Samantha was spayed, she didn't wear the Elizabethan collar, nor did she need it. She never bothered the incision, and it healed very quickly. Some dogs may need it, but you can, probably fairly quickly determine if she needs it or not.

·
Registered
501 Posts
The inflatable neck collars are pretty ineffective for spay/neuter incisions...been there, done that. Stick with the cone.

It is not a 10 day lock down sentence for the cone. I took it off Pax any time I was able to fully supervise him and on walks and within 5-6 days he had zero interest in his incision so his sentence got lightened!

If you dog constantly goes for the the site, may be a different story but they cope pretty well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts