Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where are you in your dogs fitness journey? Are you aiming for a nice pet weight? Active and fit? Top notch conditioned? I'd love to see where everyone is with their dogs and what their goals are!

With Riley I am currently trying to put some weight on him so once it warms up I will be able to work that into muscle. He lost a lot of muscle during the winter because it has been in the negatives a lot more than usual, I have been sick, busy with school, and I just can't handle the cold in general due to my circulation issues. I am able to get out for 20-30 minutes of fetch or a 15 minute flirt pole session, hopefully I will get a spring pole set up as well. Once it warms up a bit more I'll start biking with him again as well. I try to do balance exercises inside, but I just don't have the tools to do much. Usually I use the trees we cut down when it is warmer out.

So here is Riley. 1 year and 9 or so months, 28 inches tall, and last time I weighed him he was 65 lbs, I'll be weighing him again at petsmart this saturday.

Attachments

·
Registered
556 Posts
Nice looking dog! Could use some muscle but he looks good otherwise! Gsd should be a little "rangey". Mine is currently 26" and right about 85lbs, but he is heavier boned than yours. Just turned 13 months old. Lol I use logs and stumps for balance too. We got hit by hurricane Mathew lost some big oak trees, kept some logs and such to use for this. Let us know how he does with the springpole. I got mine one for Christmas, was a premade deal. Seemed pretty stout when we got it, and he went nuts over it.......but he destroyed it in 4 days flat. There are some nice looking plans online for building your own, may hold up better than what I bought.
I mainly just keep my dog from getting overweight, and we work on building muscle tone. Lots of swimming.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Penny and I are working on being active and fit. My girl is 2 now and we regularly run 3-5 miles most days of the week. She loves frisbee and fetch, we do this 1-2 times a day for about 15-30 minutes. We also have an agility course we have made for her in the back yard with jumps, a teeter totter, weave poles, and some hoops. We mainly are working on training her while doing physical things. It takes a lot to wear out an Aussie, but on the plus side I’ve gotten stronger and my heart is in good shape. Mostly our fitness goals are to tire her out everyday so she is happy, cuddly puppy in the evening.

Attachments

·
Registered
442 Posts
My current dog is blessedly easy to keep in shape. He's been more or less a couch potato for the last year or so (slightly less so last fall), and still is probably the most fit looking dog I've ever seen of his breed. I don't have any recent pics, but this is about how he currently looks:

And in fitter days:

He has an issue with the heat that makes him a bit tougher to keep active in the hot months, but my goal for this year is to have him swimming as much as possible (last year I wimped out because I was sick of having a soggy, stinky dog all over my stuff), as he's 12 now and I'm concerned that if I don't work to maintain his fitness, he may not be able to get it back as he ages.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks! Building muscle is definitely the goal, just trying to find the best way that also agrees with my chronic illnesses.
Also, I weighed Riley and he is 70 lbs now!

Everyone's dogs look great! I live seeing different dogs at different levels of fitness that fits them best, its really neat to see. @busannie That is an amazing looking dachshund! You don't see any like him around, I rarely see any that aren't fat.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have to agree with everyone else and that is the most fit looking dachshund I have ever seen before!

I do want to ask does anyone else have to deal with people telling you that you are starving your poor dog? I have had this happen a few times back when Rocky was extremely fit and deal with it on the regular from family members. I don't always know how to handle this and usually just say that his vet says he's healthy but was wondering how any of you would handle or have handled that situation?

·
Registered
10,652 Posts
My current goal is to maintain Zody's current weight and keep him fit and active. He's 5 now, I got him when he was 1 year old, and he came to me overweight. He stayed that way for the first 2 years that I had him. He has luxating patella in both knees, and at one point he, right before I finally managed to get the weight off him, he had back problems. His top weight was 11.8 lbs and he's now somewhere between 8 and 9 lbs.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,652 Posts
Thanks! He's a sweetie and feels so much better without all the weight. Back when he was overweight the amount of people who'd tell me he looked good, when I mentioned I needed to get the extra weight off of him, was sickening.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Unfortunately, most dachshund owners are not fans of my dogs' condition- I've had more than one person ask if he was a recent rescue, if he was sick, or if he needed a home where he could get some TLC, thinking that he was an unowned dog. The look of distaste on these individuals faces when I inform them that he's mine, and that his 13-14 lb fit weight is a vast improvement over the 20+ pounds he weighed when I got him is hard to miss ;). These same people will ooh and ah over how lively and agile he is (at 12, he can still heave himself over a 3 foot fence), while "poor baby"ing the fact that he doesn't have constant access to food to eat himself to death. Owners of non-fat but aspiring to get there dachshunds try to commiserate with me over their dog's current thin build, and ask whether I've tried "____" to fatten him up. There are exceptions, but sadly they are just that, not the norm. Even non-dachshund owners are sort of stunned by the sight of a fit dachshund, they will ask if he is a mix (whippet is the most common guess), how long I've had him or how old he is, why he looks so different from the "norm" for the breed. I've been accosted by a pet store employee who informed me that my dog was "anorexic", then encouraged me to feed my heavily exercised, 7 year old small dog "senior" food- he'd need 6 cups a day to maintain a decent weight! I'm never rude to people, and just smile (occasionally with a vague, dismissive comment) if they are commenting for the sake of commenting, or explain why I keep my dogs fit if they genuinely inquire. It's really not their business, and my dogs' health speaks for itself- no point in worrying about it. When talking to people, I like to cite actual sources (like the Purina studies) indicating that lean dogs live longer, healthier lives, as well as point out my success (my previous dachshund was still playing ball at 16, and lived to be 18!) with my personal dogs.

This is my previous dachshund, Annie, at 15

And 12

She was naturally a more athletic dog than Bus, but harder to keep "looking" conditioned because of her color and "flat" muscle. He'd be hot and slowing down on a warm day, while she (7 years his senior) would still be going strong fetching the ball.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Hes a credit to you. And yes,i have been asked if y gsd has cancer. But most frequently... what breed is she? Working line fit gsd and they dont know the breed. I have also been reported to rspca for starving my malinois hich they reported as emaciated gsd lmao. If you look at the size of most pets. You can see why they think fit dogs are too thin.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts