Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to adopt a dog sometime in the near future. I grew up with a toy poodle, so will probably be getting a similar (aka "hypoallergenic") breed. So here is my concern. I am currently living on my own, and I realize it is my responsibility to take the dog to the vet regularly, but I have asthma and allergies, so being in the vet's office is one of the absolute worst places I can be, even if it is for a short amount of time (and we all know how long waiting for appointments can be).

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could handle this? Does anyone else have a similar situation? Any and all help is appreciated. :]

·
Registered
894 Posts
I had an allergy test done that confirmed what things triggers my asthma. It was done at the hospital and ruled out cats and dogs, fortunately, though my asthma can be very bad. Is that an option for you?

Have you confirmed that dogs trigger you?

If you know you're okay with a dog, but the vet would be difficult, you can ask for a first appointment, or a last one when there is no-one else there. They're very accommodating where I go, though in my case it's because my dog has a contagious problem.

Good luck with sorting this out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had tests done when I was young, probably 7 years old, and I'm basically allergic to anything with fur and saliva, lol. However, small dogs that shed very little or not at all do not bother my allergies or asthma.

I've always had to stay away from anyone's house that had a larger dog or god forbid a cat because it would trigger my allergies almost immediately and I'd start having trouble with my asthma soon after.

Thank you for the great suggestion, that'd probably be the best option to go as early as possible.

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
You could try wearing a mask over your mouth and see if it still triggers your asma? I don't know too much about allergies/asma, so don't take my word for it...

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
Two things:

1) Look into a home-vet... someone who travels to your home to take care of your pets.

or

2) Schedule your appointments for first thing in the morning when the practice opens so you're not waiting. We've had clients do this and it works well. Meanwhile, they wait outside once they've checked in so they're not exposed to anything. Won't help for emergency situations but scheduled appointments can totally be worked with.

And load up on Allergy meds the night before your appointment... I know vets who are severely allergic to animals. They live on allergy meds. Go figure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts