Dog Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new user here.

My partner and I took on a newborn pup in the middle of COVID, as her mother was refusing to feed her, so we reared her, fattened her up, and were going to give her back, but the kids fell in love with her so we contacted the owners and asked to keep her.

Not long after, we found out that the dog (which we've called Kairi) is completely deaf. Which is fine! She knows signs and signals and is brilliant with the kids.

But Long story short, the owners were super shady, we haven't got any papers for her, and the only info we have was that her breed was "Pure American Bully" which I took to mean "American Bulldog". Which is also fine!

Fastforward a year, she's almost fully grown, and looks nothing like a bulldog. In fact, she looks rather a lot like an American Pitbull, which is banned in the UK.

I'd really hate for her to get taken away if someone with a better knowledge than I spots us in a park and reports the dog or anything, so just so I'm a bit more clued up, can anyone help?

·
Super Moderator
5,203 Posts
The problem with the legislation in the UK (well, one problem at least) is that it is very subjective and based on how the dog looks. Tel anyone who asks that she is a cross Bulldog mutt with some staffy and hopefully nobody will question it. And never, ever give anyone a chance to criticise her behaviour. She will have to have exemplary manners so nobody could ever point a finger at her.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
She looks adorable and so sweet, just had to say that.

I don't know a lot about dog breeds and genetics, but I wonder if Kairi is double merle? Would that give a clue for dog breed? I may be totally off btw

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've had a pitbull before I don't think yours is a pitbull I do beleive it looks like an American staffy

·
Administrator
1,201 Posts
They are excatly the same breed!
I thought so too, but it seems they aren't. Edited the inflammatory sentence out of your post. :)

The Spruce Pets - Pit Bulls vs AmStaffs

How are they the same breed ? Prove it to me? I can prove numerous links indicating how they are different here's one from the akc American Staffordshire Terrier History: How the AmStaff Separated From the "Pit Bull" – American Kennel Club
It doesn't matter whether the dog is AmStaff, Pit Bull, or even Boxer - if someone thinks it's a Pit Bull, reports it, and the measurements fit those on a police form, then the OP's dog is still at risk of being seized and destroyed. :( Such is the danger of owning bull breeds and dogs that look like them, here in the UK.

Reactions: JoanneF

·
Administrator
1,201 Posts
Hi all, new user here.

My partner and I took on a newborn pup in the middle of COVID, as her mother was refusing to feed her, so we reared her, fattened her up, and were going to give her back, but the kids fell in love with her so we contacted the owners and asked to keep her.

Not long after, we found out that the dog (which we've called Kairi) is completely deaf. Which is fine! She knows signs and signals and is brilliant with the kids.

But Long story short, the owners were super shady, we haven't got any papers for her, and the only info we have was that her breed was "Pure American Bully" which I took to mean "American Bulldog". Which is also fine!

Fastforward a year, she's almost fully grown, and looks nothing like a bulldog. In fact, she looks rather a lot like an American Pitbull, which is banned in the UK.

I'd really hate for her to get taken away if someone with a better knowledge than I spots us in a park and reports the dog or anything, so just so I'm a bit more clued up, can anyone help?

View attachment 251295 View attachment 251296
OP, you dog looks like a boxer, or AmBull to me (Ambulls are recognised, and not illegal here). If you're worried, just tell everyone she's a Staffy x Boxer.

Reactions: JoanneF

·
Registered
828 Posts
I thought so too, but it seems they aren't. Edited the inflammatory sentence out of your post. :)

The Spruce Pets - Pit Bulls vs AmStaffs

It doesn't matter whether the dog is AmStaff, Pit Bull, or even Boxer - if someone thinks it's a Pit Bull, reports it, and the measurements fit those on a police form, then the OP's dog is still at risk of being seized and destroyed. :( Such is the danger of owning bull breeds and dogs that look like them, here in the UK.
Thankyou LMMB for doing that. Im distraught super stressed over jesses stolen meds desperately needed and i lashed out.
I am 100% believe there the same breeds and no one can sway me from that. Ive done intense research over this. Research proves it in my eyes. The link above states it if its read correctly. Its the same situation as the white german shepherd and white swiss shepherd. But anyway thats my input.
Ill get away from forum for awhile as im getting unwell

1 - 11 of 11 Posts