Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday the computer I have connected to the TV so I can watch movie and shows online had a screen pop up. On the screen it looks like an official FBI letter statement. It states the computer has been locked up until I pay the 200.00 fine through some money pak system for illegal use. It stated that even if a hacker used your computer you still have to pay. I knew I had done nothing illegal on the computer so thought someone had to have hacked in to it. I went to my main computer and looked it up. Found out it is a virus/malware and is has locked the computer. I am now having to try and get the dang virus out of it. So be sure you have some kind of malware protection on your computer. My main one is protected with Zone Alarm. I just forgot to put it on the other one. It is on it now while I still try to get rid of this specific virus/malware.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
good info. Thanks for passing it on!

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was able to get it out by loading in safe mode and doing a restore to 2 days ago...Never will I ever have a computer connected to the net without zone alarm..or some kind of malware protection.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Having a hard firewall is a good idea also. Your router/modem with have one on board but probably needs to be activated and the settings adjusted. A hard firewall will also protect your entire network of computers in the house.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Having a hard firewall is a good idea also. Your router/modem with have one on board but probably needs to be activated and the settings adjusted. A hard firewall will also protect your entire network of computers in the house.
Thank you..I checked my router and it does not have one..:(

·
Registered
780 Posts
I mostly use Malware Bytes (free) and, when that doesn't work, HackThis. I've only ever had to go 'special' once and that was from a nasty virus that locked all of my protection, and also when the database was out of date.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Not that I know much about computer viruses (hardly anything at all really) but my laptop got infected with "security shield" ! It did not allow any online activity unless you payed for a virus protection install from them (sort of like a Mafia). :eek:

My son was able to remove their virus from my computer, he also removed their "cookies" from somewhere inside the computer! Just mentioning that so you can have a look yourself or have someone come and do it for you, these cookies need to be removed to have the threat really gone from your computer!

·
Registered
780 Posts
@ScentHound lol that's epic. I should look into that cuz nuffin' like some trollin', trollin' trollin'.

I agree with "find someone who knows a bit about computers". Especially if yer one of the many casual users that don't know how to do the more complicated computer functions.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
I see firewalls cause so many problems on computers. I just had a firewall constantly blue screen one of my computers and it's a lightweight firewall too (Privatefirewall). I probably need to change some of the settings in the program but I uninstalled it for now. Unless you really know what your doing and know how to setup a firewall, I would stick with the windows firewall. Make sure it's enabled. Additionally, Zone Alarm is a resource and memory pig in my experience.

The security software I use are Malwarebytes Anti-malware, AVG Anti-virus, and Spybot Search and Destroy. There is also Microsoft Security Essentials which is good. All these programs have free versions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, thank you for the info! I'm going to scan my PC today. I had quite the same situation after I downloaded an optimization software. I didn't have money to upgrade my PC, so I decided to boost it and clean junk files with a special tool. Unfortunately, I caught a virus. Therefore, always download from trusted sources. Btw later I found a critical review of such softwares, so you can check it. It's oficial info, so no viruses. A critical review of PC optimization software | Thinkmobiles

1 - 12 of 12 Posts