Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

as I am working on a paper I would like to know how many dog owners comply with anti rabies laws in the U.S. What percentage of owned dogs approximately are vaccinated against rabies either on a yearly or three year basis? Including dogs that formally are "a bit" overdue on their rabies vaccination but can be considered to have sufficient protection against rabies.

As far as I read on the internet (few reliable sources, thus my question) the percentage should be high, maybe in the low 90s or so. Do you think that could be correct?

Thanks you very much.

Mike

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Everyone we know that has a dog, and of course ours, are in compliance with the law and their rabies inoculations.

·
Registered
439 Posts
You'll find that on a dog forum it'll be pretty skewed towards people who vaccinate and keep their dogs up to date. I work in a grooming salon in a part of Florida that is having a huge rabies problem right now and we require all customers show us proof of rabies vaccination before we do any services. I'd say about 75% of customers are pretty good about it, but a large portion of new customers don't realize their pet is out of date and a small portion even gets mad at us because they view it as unnecessary. I'd say because of our rabies problem here our numbers should be skewed with more people vaccinating however we also have a large population of tourists and snow-birds who don't vaccinate because their dog rarely goes outside except for the occasional grooming.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Sort of hard to say since my total exposure to dogs is through veterinary clinics and about 99.9% of those dogs have current rabies vaccines.... but admittedly a skewed population. Dogs that are owned by people and not vaccinated for rabies are unlikely to be frequent visitors to a veterinarian.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I agree, asking on a dog forum is probably not representative for all dog owners. But as there are almost no hard numbers as far as vaccine compliance is concerned there are few alternatives.

What I found is this (81% dogs at least one vet visit in 2011) and this (14% of dogs lacked required rabies vaccines in Eddy County, NM). That´s about it. In my book both sources support the estimate of about 90% rabies vacc compliance in the whole country.

I have no doubt, that you as members of a dog owners board comply with regulations but would like to ask you what you 'think' the overall record might be.

It is a bit speculative, I know, but I would appreciate your estimates nevertheless.

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
8,033 Posts
You may get better numbers if you call a variety of shelters and see how many unvaccinated dogs they pick up annually. You could also call/email vet offices and ask how many dogs, annually, they see with overdue vaccinations.

Saying a number that we 'think' will be completely arbitrary and useless.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'll be in the minority here and say I deliberately do not keep my dogs vaccinations, rabies included, UTD. I get the three year rabies vaccine and give it maybe twice in the dog's lifetime. My main concern, as a rabbit hunter, is protecting the hounds from rabies, but I have not seen any proof that the 1,3,5 or 7yr vaccinations vary in anything but the amount of research time behind them. So one rabies shot seems to provide lifetime immunity.

When we complied with yearly protocols and were doing the yearly or bi-yearly 5 in one combination vaccinations, the dogs were sprouting lumps and tumors left, right and sideways, ALWAYS beginning at the vaccination site. Beagles are tumor factories to begin with, so we really had no choice. I lost 3 dogs in a year back in 1999-2000 due mainly to overvaccination. Won't happen again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts