Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if I can get some suggestions for the prepared frozen raw foods.

So far, I've tried Nature's Variety, Stella and Chewy and Pets4Life. Do you know these (brands)?

I mostly get chicken or turkey protein sources for a Jack Russell Terrier.

She seems to be doing okay on it. Sometimes, her poops seem to change (on the NV chicken) and the only explanation I could find might be here?:

Nature’s Variety Instinct Raw Dog Food | Review | Rating | Recalls

"Nature's Variety raw foods vary in color from batch to batch because the meat is not highly processed and they do not add food coloring (which might cover the inconsistencies mentioned below). They use HPP (High Pressure Processing) to kill any bad bacteria while leaving the other nutrients in tact. Further, they test EVERY lot of food prepared four times (at different stages of production) to ensure it's integrity and safety. "

Not sure if I buy it (sounds like promoting) but I am having a hard time finding a prepared, complete frozen raw food that doesn't have a lot of extras - stuff like vegetables, ground almonds (in some of these), potatoes and others.

Recently, I bought a Pets4Life Turkey bag but I noticed it has ground almonds. Is that okay?

There are some brands that are more meat oriented and not as much extras but you have to sort out the amounts (measure) and I guess I could do that - would have to figure out how much to 'cut away' for each meal etc. But, maybe that's what I should do instead?

I know I should just buy the organs, bones (from butchers/supermarkets?) and chicken/turkey parts from the grocery store and figure out how much to give each meal? I eventually intend to do that but I'm buying the frozen raw until I stock up and figure out what to buy.

Any advice/suggestions? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Honestly, feeding raw is really easy. You feed mostly meat, a little bone and a little organ. You do not need to feed the same things or same amounts every meal. One day you could feed a chicken thigh, the next day a chunk of pork. It is balance over time you want to aim for. And the poop color and consistency will change depending on what the dog ate. I know it can be scary and overwhelming to start on a raw diet but once you jump in it really is easy.

I've never fed premade raw, you don't know the quality of the meat that went in and most have fillers, like you said. I have bought things from my pet carnivore, I have it shipped. But if you are close enough I think you can have it delivered. They do have ground whole cow and other meats too. That is my exception, I get it for one of my cats. I guess you could count that as premade.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Feeding prey model raw instead of commercial is going to be your best bet. You would be feeding a variety of different raw meat, bones, and organs. None of the commercial pre mades that have who knows what really in them.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
gf bought a bag of the premade pucks, they've been taking up room in the freezer...

If you have a jack russel, it's pretty simple, we have a minpin. We usually buy enough for a couple of weeks at a time due to lack of freezer space. If it's chicken time - bone in legs or thighs, other cuts of chicken, hearts, gizzard, liver etc. Spend an hour roughly weighing each meal and bag it. Change out meals through the week, sometimes he gets a chicken leg for a meal, another bag may have a heart and gizzard with chicken meat, no bone. If his poop is too soft, we feed a chicken leg, if it's too hard, no-bone meal. He won't touch thawed liver or pancreas and such, we take the time to freeze them and bag them, he loves them frozen.

Problem with little dogs is finding bones they can chew down and eat. Rabbit is good if you can source it. We buy smaller racks of pork ribs on sale, and cut them leaving meat on and freeze, can feed those frozen, keeps a dog busy for a bit. Beef bones are good for chewing, but it takes a while for our pup to get through them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts