Dog Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog has started to nip grass all the time, in obedience when I send her to a sendaway marker she nips the grass when she starts and when she lies down. On A recall she nips the grass before joining me. And inbetween exercises she is doing the same. Does anyone have any ideas to help.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Does she nip at grass at any other time?
I ask because some dogs like to eat grass.
If she doesn't do it at other times, then it is very likely to be a sign of stress. If this is the case, I would take a close look at how you are doing your training. Are you using exclusively positive reinforcement training, or more traditional reward-and-punishment training?
IF it is the latter, your method of training is probably causing the stress for this dog. Remember that all of these things, including competitive obedience which is very formal, need to be fun for the dog in order for the dog to do well. If your dog is afraid of being punished if she doesn't get it right, then it is not fun for her.
If you are already using exclusively positive reinforcement, let us know how you are training, and we will see if we can help you to figure out why she is doing this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am using the touch and reward training there is no punishment involved I reward the positive and ignore the negative. Her training is by reward only. It seems to be something she has started to do since going back to shows since lockdown, I have only competed at 3 shows but I don't want this to become a habit.
She does nip the grass when she is running free but it is not to eat as I know it is a medicine, it seems to becoming a habit for a reason I just don't know.
Thank you for your reply

·
Super Moderator
5,573 Posts
This might be an off-the-wall suggestion but would she hold something like a tuggy toy in her mouth?

If so, maybe you could train with that for long enough to break the habit?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh that is a good idea Joanne I do give her a tuggy to play with and she does not eat the grass. I will give that a try today. Thank you so much.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts