Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just bought a commercial carpet cleaner with steam from daimer.com to clean the carpeting in my house. As much training as I have given to my dog, he still has more accidents on my carpet than I had hoped ... even after 5 years!

I haven't received the machine yet, but hope it works for carpet stain removal. Daimer has a new carpet cleaning solution that's green and supposed to clean very well. I bought a couple of gallons of it. I really need to get a total solution that works for me.

Has anyone out there bought a carpet cleaner to clean pet stains from their carpets? Is it doing the job you expected?

Did you buy one with heat? I was told carpet steam cleaners are more effective than carpet cleaners without heat. The heated ones also help to kill bacteria from what I understand.

Did I make a good decision to buy a machine with heat versus no heat?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Read first before using commercial cleaner or steamcleaner

A commercial machine is wonderful BUT BEFORE you use it, you must treat the stains with a product that actually digests ALL of the 5 components of urine before you use the machine. This is why...read carefully!
Urine contains 5 major components...
Uric acid, sticky mucous, pheromones, proteins, and marking scent. (all urine, not just dog urine)
There are only a couple of products available that digest all 5 of these. I'll tell you which ones I've tested below...but read this first. If you don't use a product that digests all 5, then what happens is the uric acid that has formed crystals stays in the carpet. When you use a rug cleaner, it puts water or steam into the carpet, disolves the crystal, and pushes it further into the carpet. It does take some out by suction but not all. It is certainly better than nothing, but leaves you with your problem deeper from sight, but still there. The crystals re-form when they dry. The dog can still smell it with their superior smelling ability (and you probably can too, because the crystals give off odor) Then the dog (or another animal smelling the scent ) will re-offend in the same spot, and they cycle continues.
I went to considerable research to discover all this, because my dog literally peed everywhere. I found that some of the problem was that he was territorial, but the previous owner had a dog that peed, and that was what left the scent for my dog to be "triggered" to mark.
The major brands mostly do not contain "all" the enzymes that are required. Most of them such as Natures Miracle, Simple Solution, Urine Off (just to name a few) contain enzymes that digest protein (blood is made up of protein, and part of urine is protein). There is one company to my knowledge, from the USA, called Life's Great Products. They sell a brand called Poop-Off superior stain & odor. It's available at Petco and some other stores, but it is not featured everywhere because it doesn't make as much money for the stores as the other brands....mainly because the other brands sell over and over to the same people (because it actually doesn't do the job completely, so we go back and buy more)
Online you can purchase it at pee-off.com
One of the things I appreciate is that the instructions are honest. They say this product does not work immediately. How could it? Its a biological process of digesting bacteria...obviously a product that says it works immediately can't be doing the whole job. If you use Poop-Off, pee-off, or Dumb Cat (see below) then you need to leave it on, as wet as possible, for up to a week BEFORE you clean with the carpet cleaner. Otherwise you are not truly giving it time to digest the whole stain.

If you don't know where to find all the urine in your carpet, you can use a urine-locator black lite. The cheapest and most effective little one is also available online at the above website. Not only is it the cheapest, but it has a light spectrum designed to identify urine. Other more expensive ones that can be either rented or purchased are intended for illuminating posters (remember the 60's?). They will show urine, but only if held close enough. If your problem is caused by cats rather than dogs (or both) then this company's formula is sold under the name Dumb Cat, and again can be bought at pet stores or online. Dumb Cat is a dumb name in my opinion, however it works equally as well. It has an "added" deterrent that confuses the cat's sense of smell.

This is my "honesty" disclaimer. I own a successful outerwear company in British Columbia. I have patented products and actually have one of the most popular sports products on the market. It is a fast-dry towel that contains Silver, which kills bacteria. We have been featured in over 30 major magazine gear reviews. I was so impressed with this company's products that I sell them from my store. This doesn't make any sense to sell a pet urine product in an outerwear/fabric store. But no one in my area had the product, and after testing everything it was the only one that worked. I have used over a gallon in my home. (It really did have pee everywhere). The day after I first used it, I though it was a scam. It actually smelled worse. (apparently when it is digesting the components of urine, it creates it's own smell). After 4 or 5 days I could not believe it. The smell was gone. Stuart (my Westie) has NOT REOFFENDED in his favorite spots. This is why I thought I needed to bring it in...so all my friends in agility class, all my customers, and everyone else I cared about could get it. If you live in the USA, you can buy it in Petco, and I have nothing to gain. Just go get it. If you buy it from the Pee-off.com website, that actually is my company site Discovery Trekking Outfitters.
Just wanted to let you all know that, so you can understand that I posted out of sincerity.

Leslie

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
I bought a cheap-o bisel carpet cleaner. I was very impressed. I can't even imagine how good a job a "real" one would do
LOL that's exactly what we bought (It was what Dave -bf- bought me for xmas last year BUT before we stone him for being bad-he then steam cleaned the entire house and I've actually only used it once-he's the steam cleaner :p )

This one?

We also just bought the H2O mop and BOY are we impressed!! It's on sale right now at Superstore! We're obsesso about cleaning with all our pets (Pet fur and some bunny wee when they are angry at us!) and we also have a shop vac, a bissell vac, a roomba, and several swiffer products. ;)

·
Registered
22,635 Posts

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I sold flooring (carpet, ceramic, vinyl, wood,...etc) for 25 years, and for some time, our store also had a carpet cleaning van.

The one thing people don't realize about carpet with pad under it... even a commercial van mounted carpet cleaning unit Cannot clean the pad. The steam only cleans the surface of the carpet and doesn't penetrate or suck up anything down in the pad.

So, unless you saturate the pad with an enzyme that will (in a simplified term) 'eat' the proteins from fecal and urine the cleaning machine isn't going to do much to get rid of a lot of odor in the flooring that the dog can smell and thus want to go back to, and use that spot again. When using an enzyme type cleaner too... that stuff needs TIME to work.....and the professional bottles of the stuff we used, took at least 12 hours to work...and often the smell would get worse as the enzymes 'gassed' off. But once they took care of everything, then the enzymes die off too and you finally get an odorless area. I think for that kind of cleaning, it's almost better to get a wetting/suction cleaning machine rather than a steam...just because, like I said, steam really isn't going to clean anything deeper than the carpet thickness.

Helpful hint for the future... If you ever get new carpet and pad. Go for pad that has a moisture barrier on it...to keep stuff out of the pad...and also, they even make carpets now with moisture barrier backing, but they are rather expensive. Another option, could be, if your carpet is still in really nice shape, other than the odors... you can have the carpet pulled, new pad put down and reinstall the carpet. But most people would probably only opt to do any of those things above after their dog making the messes is gone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts