Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I grew up in a really rural area so our dog pretty much just roamed the property, came on camping trips and played with us kids. Then my partners dog was totally family oriented and didn't pay attention to other people or dogs unless they were super close. With Echo everyone seems to have to come say hi and have an opinion on her behavior or my training and it's driving me mad!

At 10 weeks someone who walked onto our property to say hi to her gave me hell about her jumping up, now he gets upset because I no longer let him come say hi to her.

I constantly get told to watch The dog whisperer because I tell people to either step out of range or ignor her if she jumps up. They tell me this while petting her while she is up.

Yesterday some guy told me she was a pit mix and that she was clearly already more bonded to him than me because she was responding so well to him saying sit and calling her over. This is so hurtful, I already worry that we haven't bonded well and that she'd rather be with someone else. Even though she is really quite snuggley and Velcro at home.

It's just so frustrating sometimes!

·
Registered
324 Posts
That does sound frustrating! Seems like everyone has an opinion, whether you ask for it or not. It's exactly the same with kids/babies- everyone seems to think their way is the only way, or that they "must" tell you exactly what they are thinking. From all your posts, it sounds like you have done an AMAZING job with Echo. The fact that you stuck it out and she has made so much progress definitely emphasizes not only the work you have done, but thew bond you have with her.

·
Registered
437 Posts
People will act like that about anything and everything. Everyone has something to say about everyone else's life. I'm so sorry that people have been so rude to you like that. You just have to brush it off and know that you're raising your dog amazingly. I know all the work you've been putting into Echo and don't let anyone sass you about her!

I totally get the insecurity with bonding. Bandit is the most clingy dog on the face of the planet and even with that sometimes my BF will make some joke about Bandit being "his" dog or liking him better and I'll fret about it or get mad.

Keep your head held high, and screw anyone who thinks they can comment on your life with your dog.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
@Chas - My BC is very similar. She really LOVES other people. It hurt for a long time, especially because she was super obsessed with my brother, who barely even likes dogs.

As she's grown and we've continued to train and play, she's much happier to snuggle and pay attention to us when we are out on walks. Hang in there, she'll lose her zeal for strangers. :)

My parents were here this weekend, and complained about her jumping up, while talking to her in super high-pitched voices, and petting her. *eyeroll*

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the encouragement!
@Shandula, good to know she's not the only one like that and there's light at the end of the tunnel.

Also as a note the pit mix bothered me because Australia denies entry to all pits and mixes, I don't dislike the breed.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Eh, that's annoying, I agree and not much to add there,
but...
as for the bonding comment, don't worry. At the dogpark, I notice 'owner swapping' to be a common thing with dogs. Sonic headed up to picnic table to get loved up by a bunch of women, and their dog ambled up to myself and husband begging for a head scratch. Dogs do this all the time.

·
Registered
547 Posts
My baby girl Mauka was half Bull Boxer mix half herding breed mix. She was raised around my four children who encouraged her to jump, run away, roll in mud, dig and everything else I didn't want her to do. Despite my efforts, it took a whole year to get her to sit when meeting new people. It was a wiggly sit, but at least all four paws were on the ground! LOL

Don't give up. People can be heartless, but your Echo loves you no matter what!

·
Registered
499 Posts
"I constantly get told to watch The dog whisperer because I tell people to either step out of range or ignor her if she jumps up. They tell me this while petting her while she is up."

Awkwardly, those people are also breaking CM's own rules while saying so... He advices visitors to ignore the household dogs. Not that I fangirled him or anything. That show has been a drawback in the dog training world.

About bonding... That guy is speaking BS. Dogs are curious, they like scratches behind the ears and attention. So off course a social and curious dog is happy to meet a person. Be proud of a friendly and well-behaved dog that obviously has learned some tricks quite well!

I grew up in the shadow of my mother regarding our two BSDs. I was always number two or less in their eyes and never really reached the top spot. I had to let them go to spare my own heart. My mother always had the last word and it was her they followed in the end.

I did not give up though. I would make one d**n good number two then. I was a jerk back then and made numerous mistakes and my ideology was all wrong. But I did something right too. I was mostly focused on the younger one of the BSDs and I could cooperate with her in a way I had never seen my mother do. Whenever my mother was not around the dog behaved like she was mine alone. If my mother was there, my control over the dog crumbled, probably because I got very insecure.

I cannot make a dog my personal slave. She is a living feeling creature and I cannot force her to love me no matter how much it flatters my ego that that animal might see me as the only one in the world. The other extreme might even cause me problems. Say the dog is too clingy. I could not leave her alone without breaking her into a whining and howling ball of misery, not let someone else look after her for a few days because she would refuse food, nor let other people approach her because she would be too protective over me. Sweet probably in someone's eyes but it sounds very unpractical in real life.

I could say Alva is my dog to the core. Well, she is pretty much brainwashed in the matter because I am the only one she has. I try not to be jealous over her. She would follow me everywhere if she could but fortunately she is also confident and trusting enough to stay behind if I have to go somewhere without her. She will do tricks for others if they have treats and she is interested in other people but now I am the number one.

So I would say, that don't worry. Be fair to your dog and spend time with her and take care of her. She may enjoy the company of other people but you are family.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Samantha was like that when we first adopted her. She was so jazzed by other people, she ignored us, or so it seemed. Now she will have little to nothing to do with other people when we are out walking, and at home its a quick greeting to anyone to comes over, then back to us ignoring anyone else, unless its someone she knows well. They learn who to be loyal to, fairly quickly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.