Dog Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OMG it's been a busy month! I first want to say that this isn't really a "new addition" thread, but a soon to be new addition thread. I've signed my "intent" to purchase, which has placed me as #2 on a waiting list for a new puppy coming 2017 - if everything goes according to plan!

I'm so nervous and so excited all at the same time. Tessa's gonna love it, but I'm over here over thinking then getting excited then getting anxious, then excited again, phew I'm exhausting myself just typing it out lol.

We're slatted for a male chocolate, preferred, or black lab. I tried to love goldens, I really did, but all that fluffy maintenance...just not for me. I'm much more of a wipe and go type of gal. Plus every lab puppy I see my heart stops, so there's that too lol.

I already have so many plans for new dog and he doesn't even exist yet, it's going to be a LONG year long wait.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Congrats, I cant wait until next year to see your new addition. I hope you get the color your hopping for, I really like chocolate and black out of the three lab colors. Is your new guy more of English style lab or more of American/field style?

Reactions: KayWilson

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
American/Field. I like the sleeker bodies and less blocky heads over the bench types. The mom is a registered therapy dog and the dad is a great hunting prospect who is such a sweet dog. Both parents are such stable dogs. The breeder is choosing for me too, which I'm totally on board for. I actually chose this breeder over others because she prefers to select the puppy for the owners and how much dedication she has for her dogs over the other breeders I've met with. We met for coffee and talked for 3 hours! She met Tessa, toured my house, I took her to my work/vet. It's pretty awesome getting to know a breeder like her. Well worth the month it took for her to contact me back.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Oh Congrats @KayWilson! Now the wait! Don't drive yourself too crazy.

What are your plans for him? Are you going to do any hunt work? Maybe dock diving? Therapy dog? Labs are so versatile, there seems to be nothing they can't do.

What about names? I know you've had to of thought of a few names by now.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have so many plans @jclark343. I hope that he will be my personal therapy dog/visits to old folks homes. As most of the forum knows, I have social anxiety and there's hope we can train him so he can help me through that - Tessa's too anxious herself, though she tries, so he may very well calm her too. I've noticed that when she's around other dogs she stays calm and stable so that would be a nice bonus. We may also do some agility/flyball too.

As for names, I'm hopeless. I'm really good at female names but males names are a little harder to find ones that I like. So far Oliver (Ollie), Rhys ( pronounced like reeses, for the peanut butter cups that I love), and Reggie are the top 3; though, I'm sure more will follow ;). I'm very open to suggestions too!

Right now I'm just so excited about the idea. I've even started "colouring" coordinating my dog things, Tessa is Pink and Lime Green and new puppy will be Red and Orange. I've started wish lists/carts, looking at accessories, and re-reading the books, deciding on if I'll feed LG breed puppy or just go straight to Six Fish (since I would only have to feed 1 food instead of 2).

My friends want me to post a "coming summer of 2017" Facebook post, like what people have been doing for their babies, with Tessa holding a collar and leash. They also want to throw me a puppy shower when he is confirmed "on the ground" lol. Yeah, I don't have dog crazy friends at all lol.

It's going to be such a LONG year lol

Reactions: jclark343

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I threw a puppy shower for a friend years ago, and everyone loved it and brought gifts and had fun. So I am totally on board with your friend doing that.
And of course you have to set up the nursery, with maybe some cute bedding and whatnot. :D

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I threw a puppy shower for a friend years ago, and everyone loved it and brought gifts and had fun. So I am totally on board with your friend doing that.
And of course you have to set up the nursery, with maybe some cute bedding and whatnot. :D
My life right now is pretty much summed up by this picture lol
all-of-my-friends-are-getting-married-and-having-babies-and-im-over-here-like-maybe-i-should-get.jpg

Reactions: Sabina88

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I wish I had dog crazy friends like that, I got stuck with pretty much all cat people lol. If you end up with a chocolate I think Rhys would be a good fit since he would be a chocolate lab named after a chocolate and peanut butter candy :p.
I cant wait to see pictures of your new guy, lab puppies sure are cute. Do you think youll try any water sports with him or stick more with agility/flyball?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
My life right now is pretty much summed up by this picture lol
That's a cute card. Take it from an old timer- life unfolds the way it is supposed to, and the surest way to bring grief is to try to compare your unfolding with other people's. Be you and enjoy life.
Of course, if you meet Prince Charming, just make sure he loves dogs as much as you do.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@Sabina88 I'd love to do water sports, but there isn't a whole lot of water around where I live that allows dogs. Our only access is when we go out to BC to camp at a lake, where you bet there will be swimming/retrieving!
@Lucillle Thanks, I've always believed fate works in mysterious ways and that everything happens for a reason. For example: I've always been the "responsible" kid, taking care of my dad and then taking my mom in when he died, instead all my friends who were more boy crazy party people so I haven't really met the "one" yet because I haven't really put myself out there - you know, since taking care of other people is more than emotionally draining. I'm just starting to really "date" now at 26.

When I was thinking about getting another dog, I got a lot of people telling me I might not find the "one" because of my dedication to my dog(s) and that not a lot of guys can see past me having 2 dogs that I treat like my kids; all of which I think is crazy. If I can't find someone who cares about my animals as much as I do, then they're missing out. I'm perfectly ok becoming a spinster living out on an acreage with, like, 20 dogs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts