Dog Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use Comfortis? I read an article that fleas were supposed to be pretty bad this year so I'd like to try a preventative. I have Aspen on Heartgard so I need something that works well with that. Suggestions?

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
I've always used Comfortis for my dogs. I'm really bad and only tend to use it in the spring/summer months because that's when it is bad. With Forbes I am limited on what he can have as far as ingredients (No ivermectin) so Comfortis is an oral pill that really works. It is not FDA approved for Ticks but my vet said it usually works against ticks as well. I've never had an issue.

·
Premium Member
7,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've always used Comfortis for my dogs. I'm really bad and only tend to use it in the spring/summer months because that's when it is bad. With Forbes I am limited on what he can have as far as ingredients (No ivermectin) so Comfortis is an oral pill that really works. It is not FDA approved for Ticks but my vet said it usually works against ticks as well. I've never had an issue.
Do you use that instead of Heartgard? I bought a year supply of Heartgard about 4 months ago so I don't want it to go to waste haha

But when I'm out, maybe I'll rotate HG and Comfortis to avoid any immunity buildup. I do that with my horse's dewormer.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
I used to use it. Then switched to Trifexis which has the same active ingredient as Comfortis but is also effective for heartworms and other intestinal parasites.

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
Comfortis I don't believe does Heartworm. My vet always recommends I do both but I am a horrible dog owner and very rarely do heartworm.

Reactions: cos

·
Registered
989 Posts
I used to use it. Then switched to Trifexis which has the same active ingredient as Comfortis but is also effective for heartworms and other intestinal parasites.
Trifexis didn't work for Cosmo at all but Comfortis does! Cosmo is actually allergic to fleas though so he also gets benedryl sometimes per vet recommendation when he's particularly itchy

·
Registered
989 Posts
Comfortis I don't believe does Heartworm. My vet always recommends I do both but I am a horrible dog owner and very rarely do heartworm.
Lol what's heartworm? :rolleyes:

It's ok, I actually put off Cosmo's last set of shots so long that we had to start over.

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
Lol what's heartworm? :rolleyes:

It's ok, I actually put off Cosmo's last set of shots so long that we had to start over.
Honestly, with Forbes, Heartworm medicine makes me really nervous. He has never been tested MDR1 but finding one that does not have Ivermectin is kind of hard. I found 1 I think but it still makes me really nervous. I would honestly rather not and deal with the consequences if something does happen.

Reactions: cos

·
Registered
989 Posts
Honestly, with Forbes, Heartworm medicine makes me really nervous. He has never been tested MDR1 but finding one that does not have Ivermectin is kind of hard. I found 1 I think but it still makes me really nervous. I would honestly rather not and deal with the consequences if something does happen.
I completely agree! It's a sticky situation :/

·
Registered
368 Posts
with very few exceptions heart worm medications are very safe, even for sensitive breed dogs. There are plenty of heart worm preventatives available that have milbemycin or selamectin in them, but the dose of ivermectin in the others is too low to be a concern for dogs with genetic sensitivity to Ivermectin. However, heart worms are indeed a huge danger (at least in those humid parts of the country where they are so prevalent) and treating a dog for the heart worms is far more costly and risky than giving them a preventative.

·
Premium Member
7,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I chose the Soresto collar for now. When I take her for her Bordetella shot in January, I'll ask my vet what the best combination is.

Sometimes, I feel like I'm pumping so many chemicals into her and I feel bad... but if I don't give them, I feel like I'm not protecting her. Haha... catch 22, I suppose.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts