Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm getting tired of having to constantly comb out mats from where Forbes' collar sits. Right now he has a double layered leather collar. My dogs usually always wear collars. I'm a little bit of a nervous wreck and l don't like to not have id on my dogs. So being collar less is not really an option. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Perhaps a loose fitting martingale collar.

Wear it like a necklace 90% of the time and adjust it so that the tightest possible is only as tight as a normal collar.

Works for Manna

·
Banned
6,281 Posts
I'd try rolled leather too.

I have this collar that I LOVE but is not always super practical-called a buff collar. It's a seamless fabric collar and is not particularly sturdy, but it works well to not ruffle fur.

A wider collar (1.5, 2'') might be better too-but I find these can be too bulky, and less effective than the previous options.

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm looking into either a soft leather rolled collar (even though I have the look) or a thin tag holder.

·
Registered
61 Posts
A leather collar with no clips would probably be best. My friend has a Golden retriever (He's a show dog) and they just use a Normal nylon collar with no clips.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I agree with the rolled leather collar, hopefully you will be able to find one that works.

Ive actually never had that problem with Sawyer, or even Maye so far and I just have the regular flat nylon (I think) ones. But the difference might just be a hair texture thing.

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea, unfortunatley around his neck he has really soft fine hair that knots really easy. What I've been doing is taking his collar off and leaving him naked, and then when he sits on the couch with me to cuddle I comb out his neck. So far we haven't had any knots.

·
Registered
254 Posts
You may want to go to a breed-specific website or a trainer/groomer that works with a dog like yours. It was far too dangerous for my friend to ever take the collar off her shaggy part-fox terrier because he was an escape artist. One rolled leather collar later things were better, but a trip to a groomer who showed my friend how to trip the hair ended up being the best bet. A nice, well crafted trim will be hardly noticeable but make your life a lot better.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Sawyers ear hair is like that so i know what you mean by easy knotted.
I would maybe also look into materials that are lower friction. I think (i could be wrong) that the lether collars with softer edges and thicker thread are more apt to catch in their hair so maybe look for one with a hard/finished edge if you dont already have one. (Hopefully that made sense)

Reactions: jclark343

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm going to have to look into a nice rolled leather one.

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well he currently has a leather with a metal buckle, but I think that's causing issues. I'm definitely looking into a nice supple rolled.

Reactions: Sabina88

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had a custom tag collar made for mine, super light and disappears into the hair. There's no buckle, it slips on over his head and is strong enough to grab if needed even though it's not meant for a leash. I got it from Braid-A-Roo on Etsy, it was around $25 and I had it in less than a week.

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, due to him being an idiot and eating his collar (All 16 inches of leather) I was forced to buy him a collar sooner rather then later. Decided to go with a nice soft rolled leather.
https://www.etsy.com/transaction/1109586510

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I cant believe he eat his whole coller, must have tasted like beef jerky lol

Hopeully this new one will work for you.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.