Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dogs has been in training and had worn an e collar (not using it anymore). When the collar was on, it had to be rotated every couple hours to prevent pressure sores, but I think rotating it damaged his fur. It looks a bit shorter around the neck and the tips of some look black, I was thinking maybe cause the material of the collar was black and it rubs off? Idk

Anyway I rubbed his neck with coconut oil. Anyone know anything else I can do to maybe help put the hair there, encourage healthy hair to grow back? Will it just grow out on its own? You can see the discoloring in one of the pics and I got a couple close ups. ( His skin is also black so that may make it looks worse then it is I think)

Any recommendations would be appreciated, thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ooooh really? Wow how no idea! We were also using a prong collar and I bet that did it! Thank you!

I was just worried cause some of the hair looks shorter and the tips look black like they were burnt or something.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I need to keep using at least a chain collar if not prong. What type of metal won’t stain the fur? Is there suck a thing? Thanks!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Go for a harness instead, probably one where the lead clips at the front of the harness near the chest. It’s kinder to the dog and more effective in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
High quality chains like stainless steel apparently. Though I'm no expert. On my dog it was the rabies tag that did it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
E collar

Hi. I understand about those hard e collars. My dog pulled his nail off scratching while it was on. Then he had to have surgery for that. Now I will only use the soft e collars. It’s what my holistic vet uses and where I purchased it from. I’m sure they sell them other places.

I also agree about the chain collars. They do stain.

Why does your dog need a prong collar?

Take care. Good luck.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He needs a prong collar because he is in training. I learned that some dogs have allergies to the metal so I had to order a new one made out of coragen.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It sounds like you have an outdated trainer. No one needs a Prong / choke collar. They are aversive training tools and can cause harm (physical - choke collar or mental - prong collar).
Some dogs turn leash reactive because of seeing another dog while getting pinched and associating the two. Pain equals sight of another dog.
Look for a good positive reinforcement trainer. Also look into a front clip harness. (Easy Walk harness or Freedom harness). They are amazing. You will be very surprised at the results. You’ll also be saving your dog from metal sensitivities.
Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi. I understand about those hard e collars. My dog pulled his nail off scratching while it was on. Then he had to have surgery for that. Now I will only use the soft e collars. It’s what my holistic vet uses and where I purchased it from. I’m sure they sell them other places.
Good luck.
Your post about e-collars & prongs got me a bit confused. Then I realized you thought e-collar meant the post surgery cone. Right?
By e-collar, this poster was talking about shock collars, not surgery cones! 😥

·
Registered
85 Posts
Different collar names

Gee, it sounded like to me the person was talking about prong and surgical collars, e collars. I had not understood they were speaking about shock collars. So are shock collars referred to as prong collars? I thought a shock collar delivered electrical impulses.

I did get the part about the staining of choke chains.

What is the best type of harness to use? I am concerned about using a harness because of where it sits underneath a dog’s armpits and could injure them by pulling on those sensitive areas.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Prong collars and e collars were not the top on my list for training my dog. However with my boy positive reinforcement didn’t work. He started putting himself in situations that were dangerous to himself. Like one example busting out the door as my roommate was trying to leave, and taking off down the street.

While these collars were my last options for training with him they are necessary and my guy is smart enough were I only need to use the e collar once and he learns. I also put the collar on myself and give myself a shock before putting it on him, I figure we are in this together so, idk, while I understand why people don’t like these collars they are really needed for situations.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Gee, it sounded like to me the person was talking about prong and surgical collars, e collars. I had not understood they were speaking about shock collars. So are shock collars referred to as prong collars? I thought a shock collar delivered electrical impulses.

I did get the part about the staining of choke chains.

What is the best type of harness to use? I am concerned about using a harness because of where it sits underneath a dog’s armpits and could injure them by pulling on those sensitive areas.
I like ruffwear harnesses.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts