Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my eight year old Corgi, Yoda, refuses to wear a collar because I was not allowed to make him wear one when he was a pup. As soon as I even show him the collar, he shuts down and will NOT move. What can I do? I have tried to play with his favorite toys while in the collar, treat train, and even leave it on for a few hours while I supervise. The outcome is always the same: he shuts down and will NOT move. It's like he is throwing a tantrum! I am on the fence about doing the Canine Good Citizen test with him because he just wouldn't move! I want him to do something productive with his talents (he has a powerful nose and a willingness to please) but am unable to conquer this obstacle with him. Any help is absolutely welcome, thank you for reading.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Would he be okay with a harness, you think? Is it just the collar, or anything that constricts him?

I'd start off very, very slow. Leave collars lying around the house, and throw treats near them whenever possible. Eventually you could work up to holding the collar and treating, then putting it on his neck very loosely, and gradually tightening it. Go very, very slow! Counter-conditioning is your best friend for this. ;)

If he's fine with harnesses, though, I'd just use one of those. They're better for a dog's skeletal structure, anyway. :)

Reactions: Kwenami

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Boy, that's a tough one. I have a similar problem in that my dog hates harnesses, and he really should be wearing one on leash. He does the same thing, shuts down and won't move. Gives me the "why do you want to beat me" look if I even bring it out. I was able to get a collar on him, didn't much care for it, but he got used to it after a day. Maybe you could try putting just a very lightly strand of twine around his neck, play with him, take it off, and work up to the collar. The best thing I was able to do was distract my dog for a while, but it sounds like you've already tried that.

I doubt if you will have much luck with any of the harnesses at this point, but you could try a few of the different types, and take them back if it's a no go. For anyone with a young dog--get that collar, leash and harness on them when they are a puppy!

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
What I would do is start with an overly large collar, one that you could hold up and he could easily put his head right through without being at all constricted or squeezed. It doesn't necessarily have to be a collar either, if you don't want to buy a huge one that will never actually fit him...A belt would probably work fine.

Let him be around it first. Show it to him, let it be on the floor for him to investigate. Mark him and give him a treat when he shows interest in it and puts his head to it. Or if you clicker train, C/T. You should be able to gradually start to hold it up more and more and shape him to put his head through it on his own. Reward him for being close. Toss treats in the middle of it when you have it looped and on the floor as a circle. Lure him to start putting his nose in it and reward his progress. Just take it slow and never force him. If you force him, you will only set back your progress. He's not throwing a fit...He's probably scared and freaked out by having something that feels constraining being forced into him.

When he starts to put his head through it on his own on cue, then start asking him to stay there longer and longer. Give him bursts of rewards and feed him lots of treats when his head is in the loop. Then start to gently let go of it and allow him to feel some pressure on his neck. Again, if he freaks, that means you're going too fast. Slow down. Only move forward when he's clearly comfortable where you're currently at. The idea is to slowly expose him to the idea of having something around his neck, and make it something positive. You should be able to eventually put the belt around his neck and let him wear it like a necklace. Then move on to a collar and make sure you start with it nice and loose so he can easily slip his head in/out on his own. Go smaller gradually.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I agree with the advice to counter condition. You can't go any faster than your dog can handle.

You might try the counter conditioning with something super light weight, like a piece of yarn.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm having the same problem with my Red Heeler mix.
A little background...

She's 9 months old. I've had her since she was a baby. She was a rescue from a local shelter, and was from a litter of 6. All 6 babies were given to the shelter. Their mother was a "papered", full blood red heeler that was accidentally bred with an unknown breed of dog.
I have never been able to get her to wear a collar. I've tried everything mentioned above, except the yarn.
Once a collar (of any kind) or harness is put on her, she tucks her tail, completely shuts down and acts as if she's "in trouble" or is being scolded, and hides. She doesn't respond to any commands and completely ignores me as if she's scared to death.
At times, she has even cried out as if she is in pain.
I've given up on getting her to wear a collar, and it is a concern for me, because she goes everywhere I go, even my work. Everyday she's at my side.
I just want to know why or what it is that puts her into this state of mind.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts