Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seeing so many people walking their dogs with these vest/harness things, rather then regular old collars. We will be getting our new Cockapoo puppy Spring/Summer 2016 and I am researching everything we'll need :) He will be around 5-6 pounds when we bring him home.

So my question is, is a vest/harness recommended over a collar to prevent him from hurting his neck? Does the vest thing only go on for walks and the rest of the time he wear nothing? Or does he also wear a collar that has his tags on when we are out? Also, what type of harness is recommended? There are so many different ones and I am overwhelmed by all the opinions on the internet. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
My dogs have collars and harnesses. The harnesses are for walking so they don't have any pressure on their trachea/throat. This is I believe even more important for small dogs. They sometimes wear their collars with tags while out, but the harnesses also have tags on them. When they're inside, they don't wear anything. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have both as well, and I have a Westie, currently 9 lbs. The harness is great for walks as the puppy will pull in the beginning and probably will be resistant to be outside. I also think you will find that your options will be a bit limiting for a small pup. We have gone through 2 harnesses already just trying to find the right size for this lil man. He has one that kong makes right now and that should be a keeper. Also, we leave his tags on his harness because he wears that more outside. Good luck!

·
Registered
156 Posts
We use a halti. It's great for bringing a puller's attention back to you.

I recently read somewhere that the harnesses that go around the front of their legs is bad for them. Not sure that's true but might be worth looking into.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts