Dog Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please can someone help? Jessie has had colitis for bit over a month trying physillium with no success. she goes poo every four day or so she last went friday last week had tad diareha but thats it. so im cooking a barley mix to try calm it down but how on earth can i get her to go toilet daily for poo? she also scooted not long ago on carpet so its obvious she in discomfort.

The pysillum she been getting half tea spoon daily in water but she has gone off it and wont drink it even if warm or cold water. im not sure what to do.

No temp at all acting normal otherwise. She normally poo daily and normal poo is little pellets that turn white and no where near that yet. She on rabbit and goat, rabbit goat and tripe raw food

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes within last two weeks and he isnt concerned as she hasnt got a temperature and seems fine apart from liquid puddles/soft poo/runs and thinking she still needs to go after pooing. She scoots at times and wont go poo if i say go poo poo she looks wary and wont go at all even if i say go wee wee she wont go but only for wees then rush back inside.

She liked drinking the barley though went down in seconds

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I'd be more worried about the constipation than the diarrhea. Once every 4 days seems really severe. Is she eating normally?

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Crazy, what food are you feeding her?

Are you certain that she's alright with the barley water and not allergic to it?

Did Dr. Mike prescribe something for the colitis, if so what?

Zody was diagnosed with colitis in late May or early June. Just this past week I finally got him having normal bowel movements.

He went from normal bowel movements but their being way to frequent, to constipation, to going once a day but it being very soft, to diarrhea, then back to soft. I was ready to beat my head against the wall.

For the constipation I ended up giving him 100% canned pumpkin. I never did figure out if it was the colitis that caused it or the Metacam.

I'm also not entirely sure what caused the soft stool, once I finally got rid of the constipation, it could have been the antibiotic that he was on, it could have been the Temeril P that he was put on for allergies after he finished the antibiotic, it could have been the colitis, it could have been the chicken in the chicken and rice, or a combination of all of them. Do you think that's what's happening with Jessie?

What I ended up doing with Zody was waiting till he finished the antibiotic then switching him from chicken and rice to turkey and rice, it helped somewhat, but he was having SBD gas. I tried transitioning him back on the Honest Kitchen but made the mistake of letting him have a raw chicken back, I thought the bones would help firm up his poo, instead he ended up with watery diarrhea, so I put him back on the turkey and rice and stopped giving him The Honest Kitchen. That stopped the diarrhea but he kept having soft poo. I waited a few days and once again tried transitioning him back onto The Honest Kitchen but noticed he was starting to butt scoot (what he did when he had the colitis) when I did so (he butt scooted a bit when I tried transitioning him the first time. I decided to give up on The Honest Kitchen and try him with his old kibble Fromm, I also decided to stop giving him the rice and try sweet potato instead. I started that a week ago and for the first time in over a month Zody does not have gas, has not butt scooted, and is having normal bowel movements.

If you think that the colitis has cleared up maybe you can try to slowly transition Jessie back onto her regular food if you switched her off of it. I think one of the reasons that Zody took so long to get better is that he can't handle rice as a staple diet for more then a few days at a time, it was only after I took him off the rice that he started to get better, and it was only after I did a bunch of research that I came across a couple of articles that stated that canned 100% pumpkin (Zody doesn't do well on it), or sweet potato are a better choice since it doesn't ferment in the gut like rice can... Diarrhea in Dogs: Don’t Let It Catch You Unprepared

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Crazy, what food are you feeding her?

rabbit and goat with tripe and rabbit goat and tripe mix. Raw of course from the cats and dogs dinner company. We simplified it to that for another two months.

Are you certain that she's alright with the barley water and not allergic to it?
Well lots of gas during night so im hopeful things are starting to loosen up? She was bit tender due to gas late last night.
Did Dr. Mike prescribe something for the colitis, if so what?
No nothing as no temp and to him arching her back doesn't mean in pain and just doesn't like it. Was trying to persuade me to put her bk on zd or an allergic food but raw fixed ph urine problem so not happy to change from raw.

Zody was diagnosed with colitis in late May or early June. Just this past week I finally got him having normal bowel movements.

He went from normal bowel movements but their being way to frequent, to constipation, to going once a day but it being very soft, to diarrhea, then back to soft. I was ready to beat my head against the wall.

For the constipation I ended up giving him 100% canned pumpkin. I never did figure out if it was the colitis that caused it or the Metacam.
Jess can't have fruit or veges so that makes it hard.
I'm also not entirely sure what caused the soft stool, once I finally got rid of the constipation, it could have been the antibiotic that he was on, it could have been the Temeril P that he was put on for allergies after he finished the antibiotic, it could have been the colitis, it could have been the chicken in the chicken and rice, or a combination of all of them. Do you think that's what's happening with Jessie?

Truly no idea hence askinf for help

What I ended up doing with Zody was waiting till he finished the antibiotic then switching him from chicken and rice to turkey and rice, it helped somewhat, but he was having SBD gas. I tried transitioning him back on the Honest Kitchen but made the mistake of letting him have a raw chicken back, I thought the bones would help firm up his poo, instead he ended up with watery diarrhea, so I put him back on the turkey and rice and stopped giving him The Honest Kitchen. That stopped the diarrhea but he kept having soft poo. I waited a few days and once again tried transitioning him back onto The Honest Kitchen but noticed he was starting to butt scoot (what he did when he had the colitis) when I did so (he butt scooted a bit when I tried transitioning him the first time. I decided to give up on The Honest Kitchen and try him with his old kibble Fromm, I also decided to stop giving him the rice and try sweet potato instead. I started that a week ago and for the first time in over a month Zody does not have gas, has not butt scooted, and is having normal bowel movements.

If you think that the colitis has cleared up maybe you can try to slowly transition Jessie back onto her regular food if you switched her off of it. I think one of the reasons that Zody took so long to get better is that he can't handle rice as a staple diet for more then a few days at a time, it was only after I took him off the rice that he started to get better, and it was only after I did a bunch of research that I came across a couple of articles that stated that canned 100% pumpkin (Zody doesn't do well on it), or sweet potato are a better choice since it doesn't ferment in the gut like rice can...

Jess last Friday had soft poo with bit of runs so not over it yet

Diarrhea in Dogs: Donâ?:tm:t Let It Catch You Unprepared
I'd be more worried about the constipation than the diarrhea. Once every 4 days seems really severe. Is she eating normally?
yep eating normally alright even tell me its six pm and starving lol

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yay found a poo in garden! So rang dad and told him. Only to be told he picked up two pieces of poo other day! Never tells me thought I wasn't bothered about her poo. Said of course I am she has colitis and keeping eye on it. Cant of been this morning but sometime yesterday evening. However normally is little pellets that turm white after few hours so getting there?

Reactions: Rain

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I gotta wonder where it's going then. Is it possible that she's pooping regularly and cleaning it up?
Dont think so as found one from sometime last night struggling to upload pic though.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
It might be worth it to ask Dr Mike to prescribe something to help with it. Did you ever figure out what set it off? I'm 99% certain that Zody's was caused by stress.

I think Zody was over the colitis much sooner then I originally thought, I think it was the diet of chicken and rice, then turkey and rice, that kept his poo soft.

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It might be worth it to ask Dr Mike to prescribe something to help with it. Did you ever figure out what set it off? I'm 99% certain that Zody's was caused by stress.

I think Zody was over the colitis much sooner then I originally thought, I think it was the diet of chicken and rice, then turkey and rice, that kept his poo soft.
what he has in mind is $57 and only three doses. Haven't the funds for it atm. Well I know before anal glands removal fish set off infection that took forever to get rid of infection hence removal as well as too costly expression. Also she is very sensitive to chicken and any fish. Charlie was on nutrience grain free chicken turkey and herring and she ate loads of it before I clicked on to it.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
what he has in mind is $57 and only three doses. Haven't the funds for it atm. Well I know before anal glands removal fish set off infection that took forever to get rid of infection hence removal as well as too costly expression. Also she is very sensitive to chicken and any fish. Charlie was on nutrience grain free chicken turkey and herring and she ate loads of it before I clicked on to it.

Ah I thought I was remembering right and that she had gotten into either Charlie's or a cats food!

I bet that was the cause of it:(

Best I can advise it to try just leaving her on the rabbit for a couple of weeks and cut out the barley water to see if that helps. From what I've read, and been told by my vet, it's best to fast the dog for 24 hours but Zody couldn't have handled that long of a fast I'm not sure if Jessie could.

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Ah I thought I was remembering right and that she had gotten into either Charlie's or a cats food!

I bet that was the cause of it

Best I can advise it to try just leaving her on the rabbit for a couple of weeks and cut out the barley water to see if that helps. From what I've read, and been told by my vet, it's best to fast the dog for 24 hours but Zody couldn't have handled that long of a fast I'mm
not sure if Jessie could.
dr mike has wanted Jessie on fibre since the start to help firm poo up and the barley water actually helps cleanse the colon etc and calm it down I got told. Haven't much left anyway but jess loves it. Typical isn't it lol. Yes I think that was the cause too imo. Until her poo bk to normal got to give fibre got told

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
YES! She has pooped in front of my eyes! first time in ages that! that barley water is a miracle! @Rain if zody ever gets it again get some pearl barley from the supermarket and pour some in a pan add hot water boil it for 3-4 hours and keep adding water make sure your going to have plenty of water.

then when cooled down pour up to 50ml into the bowl a day. cleanses the colon etc and calms it down apparently.

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
here are the two pics i have. first one with green grass is on my garden and must of been last night? then second most recent one and she must feel heaps better getting it out of her!

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts