Dog Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. :) I have 2 small dogs. Right now, the wind chill outside is 10 below. They are predicting a wind chill of 20 below by this evening. I have one skinny dog that refuses to go out in this weather. The plump one doesn't mind as much.
Question...Is there any food, store bought or homemade that can be given warm to the dogs? These guys deserve warm food just like people. One thing, my plump one has a food alergy to dairy products and eggs. Breaks out in a nasty rash. :(:(

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Hi all. :) I have 2 small dogs. Right now, the wind chill outside is 10 below. They are predicting a wind chill of 20 below by this evening. I have one skinny dog that refuses to go out in this weather. The plump one doesn't mind as much.
Question...Is there any food, store bought or homemade that can be given warm to the dogs? These guys deserve warm food just like people. One thing, my plump one has a food alergy to dairy products and eggs. Breaks out in a nasty rash. :(:(
Honest kitchen is great. It is dehydrated you add warm water to reconstitute it. It is like home cooking for your dog. I buy it on line from the company, its less expensive then in the stores. Its free shipping for a 10 lb box. If you want samples look in the smaller independent stores that sell honest kitchen or you can order them from the company.
The Honest Kitchen

·
Registered
214 Posts
@milford something I've found that helps is warming Jav's outdoor sweater before putting it on him. It can be as simple as sitting on it while having my tea. ;) If your dog is still hesitating, maybe a warmer coat is needed in this extra cold.

When our temperatures go to freezing I'll put one of their fleece throws in the dryer before we leave. When we come home I'll hit 'on' and in the few minutes to take their coats, leashes, and harnesses off, the fleece is toasty warm. As soon as they see it come out of the dryer they run to the spot I leave it and stand waiting. I put it down and they tunnel inside - kinda hilarious to watch! But even better knowing they're toasty warm again. :)

Hopefully these ideas help.

Reactions: naturalfeddogs

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dawnben, Thank you for the website. I'm kind of old fashioned. When I seen the price for a 10# bag, I almost fell off my chair. As for the sample, 1 oz. is $1.00 + $1.00 for shipping + tax = forget it. I remember when you called a company for a "free" sample, they would actually send it for free. That is customer service.

Cynna, Thanks also, but my skinny one is terrified of sweaters. Put one on him and he turns into a statue.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Dawnben, Thank you for the website. I'm kind of old fashioned. When I seen the price for a 10# bag, I almost fell off my chair. As for the sample, 1 oz. is $1.00 + $1.00 for shipping + tax = forget it. I remember when you called a company for a "free" sample, they would actually send it for free. That is customer service.

The 10 lb box | $59.99 (makes 40 lbs) That is the chicken variety. I used to pay $60.00 for a 35 lb of kibble. You could eat this stuff its so wholesome. Go to a pet store that sells it and get the samples free. My picky dog eats this without stopping until its gone.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

The 10 lb box | $59.99 (makes 40 lbs) That is the chicken variety. I used to pay $60.00 for a 35 lb of kibble. You could eat this stuff its so wholesome. Go to a pet store that sells it and get the samples free. My picky dog eats this without stopping until its gone.

The one for my dog was $84.99 for a 10# box. Don't know shelf life.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
The one for my dog was $84.99 for a 10# box. Don't know shelf life.
Shelf life according to the site is 12 months. There is a chart that tells you by weight how long is will last if you feed it daily. For small dogs it should last a while. My dog on the other hand 50 and 75 lbs use a 10 lb box in about 2 weeks. Expensive but I would be home cooking if not for this food. Cost about the same if you use the same quality of ingredients.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I have to say I spoil my dog.....she HATES her food cold! What I do is simply warm her wet food in the microwave for 10 seconds! Plain ol' canned food! Of course it is always a high quality food.....right now we have
Whole Earth Farms Hearty Beef Stew
and
Nutrisca Grain Free Turkey and Chickpea Stew
on the Menu LOL! It changes every month!
Don't 'overwarm' it though!
Of course her raw food is never right out of the refrig either.........she wants it at room temp

We feed a rotation of raw, kibble, and canned......we also change protein source frequently to avoid getting allergies (per Dr Karen Becker's advice...see on youtube "How to Control Dog Food Allergies")
Hope this helps ya a little!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Cynna, Thanks also, but my skinny one is terrified of sweaters. Put one on him and he turns into a statue.
Try the blanket warming suggestion. That would work too.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Ahh, Fin was like that at first. We also tried a Thundershirt for anxiety when we first had her and she wouldn't move, and when I tried to get her to walk she fell over sideways and stayed still. So dramatic!

As we knew winter was coming and she'd been cold, we started putting loose shirts on her, and within a couple days she liked them. Now she wears sweaters all the time, and is quick to point her head through the neck when I hold one out for her.

If your boy is cold out there, I don't blame him for hating it, not all dogs are good with cold, and it might be too cold for him (not sure what breed he is, or if he's short haired). Consider trying again with a looser sweater or shirt inside, just put it on him when he's not doing anything, and maybe throw a treat. Once he realizes he can walk around and is fine, he'll relax. Then try the sweater or a coat and I bet he'll be much happier to go outside. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts