Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My dog is having serious issues with the snow this year. Whenever she walks on snow or ice for too long she hold her paws up in the air and limps around. Yesterday we walked through a deeper area of snow because the sidewalk hadn't been shoveled completely and she sat down, trying to hold all her feet up at once and started crying. I had to pick her up and carry her back onto the street.

The problem is that she LOVES her walks and NEEDS them because she won't "go potty" outside unless we walk around for at least 15 minutes or so. She is always enjoying the walk and wants to go further, reluctant to come inside, even when she's doing this limping thing. I'm sure it's the snow and not salt. She tends to do it most in deeper snow (at least a few inches), and typically only sand, if anything, is down where we walk.

I'd really prefer not to put booties on her because I don't think she'd walk well in them, but is there anything else I can do that would help? Is this common? I've never seen another dog do this and I've worked at two kennels in the dead of winter....

I should also mention that she's a short haired dog and doesn't get the snowballs between her pads that I've seen with my wire fox terrier.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Booties

We live in Minnesota where snow and cold are in abundance! Our cocker spaniel would raise her legs when it got too cold outside. Snow wasn't the issue as much as the temperature. If the dog is very active when outside it is less of a problem but when stationary the paws can get very cold. I would highly recommend booties for your dog. Might look strange but will feel better. Try ones that fit and the dog should overcome any awkwardness.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I agree about the booties. My little dogs do the same "dance" on the ice and snow and I have the kind of booties that zip up the front and then a strap velcros around. They are a tremendous help! Don't dog sledders put some kind of salve on their dogs' paws when running? My husband puts Bag Balm on his shorthair when he's out hunting. Maybe something like that would help if you're really against the booties. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips. I'll give the booties a try, hopefully she'll tolerate them. I emailed a company that makes dog booties for sled dogs, so I'm hoping these will stay on well and be pretty flexible so she won't mind them as much.

·
Registered
303 Posts
OOOooo...please let us know what you get! I used Muttluks brand boots. They were expensive but very nice although my one dog kept loosing one...lol. I'd be very interested to hear what the sled dog company says.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts