Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just completed my move down to Tampa. The boys love it here and we've found some fun doggy things to do already!

What I am hoping for, is some advice on keeping them comfortable/safe in the heat down here. I want to make sure they still get enough exercise every day but not take any risks of heat stroke!

Also, dangerous overheating- how do I tell when they are too hot (not just tired/warm)?

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I wonder if @jclark343 has some ideas. Forbes must get decently hot during the summer?

It gets really humid here, so I try to keep my hard exercising to the early morning or late evening. I also take a towel with me and lay it on the ground and continually put water on it. That way they can lay down and cool off. Also TONS of water, and I actually take margarine tubs put some water in them and freeze them, that way at the park the water is nice and cold. And of course, if it gets really stinkin' hot, we do lots of brain games in the A/C. :)

As far as signs of overheating, I look for heavy panting - not your average "whoo I'm tired" but serious heavy, fast, panting. Their gums also get really red or dark pink. If it gets REALLY bad you can see excessive drooling or even vomiting.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
WELCOME to Florida! It's a crazy place down here!

I agree with a lot of what @Shandula said. Do a lot of your hard exercising in the morning or around dusk (Mosquitoes might make that hard though). I try to do a lot of outside activity in short spurts. Bring LOTS of water, for you and the dogs. Remember that coats cool in the same way they keep dogs warm, so avoid any shaving. If you're going to be outside waiting a lot maybe invest in a battery powered fan (I have one for agility trials) or a cool coat (I don't have one of those, but I would love one!) Also remember that salt water will dehydrate, so if you're near the ocean, try to consume more water.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, thanks guys! Great advice.

I'm just a bit worried about them being in such a different climate but I've actually seen a lot of huskies and some other "cold weather" dogs down here that seem to have adjusted well. They both love to play in the water so I'll keep taking them to the dog beaches once it gets really hot in about a month.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I agree with what's been said so far. It also might be worth it to invest in a kiddy pool if its something they might like.
A cold damp towel might be nice to lay on too on hot days.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts