Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - we adopted our dog, Cody, a little over a year ago when he was 2 1/2-3 years old. He was abused and was incredibly timid and insecure when we found him at the shelter - he's the sweetest dog I've ever met and has transformed into a happy, confident, well-socialized dog. His biggest problem now is that he goes through phases where he runs away. My husband and I live in the woods and Cody always seems to stay fairly close by (we can often hear his collar jingling even though he's sometimes gone for hours!!), and he doesn't like cars to he steers clear of them, but its still not a good habit for him to get into. He's fine if we are home and outside with, or even if it's the weekend, and he seems to know we aren't going anywhere. But during the week, I think that because nearly every time he comes inside it's met with the negative situation of me going to work and him being left alone, he takes off. In the morning and when I go home during my lunch break, he stays around the house, but wont come inside - I usually bring him for a ride before going back to work to get him inside. And I try not to wait a little while before leaving so he doesn't associate it with coming inside - but that cuts in on his time outside. Lately, in the evening, when my husband and I are both home, he takes off. He did this for a little while last winter, and he had nearly stopped completely until recently. I think that it might have to do with the fact that since the time change, it's dark when I get home from work, so I don't spend as much time playing outside with him? But even if we go do something together when we get home, he books it unless he's on his leash. Sorry for such a long post - this is my first time posting anywhere so I guess I'm making up for lost time:)

·
Registered
823 Posts
Easy pacheezie. Dogger doesn't get to go out offlead.

I wouldn't make a big thing out of figuring out why he is gone for so long... it's fun out there. There's probably stuff to chase, sniff, dig and in general, act like a dog.

He may "avoid" cars but you're also trusting cars will avoid him. I wouldn't take that chance..... Lord only knows what he could encounter "out there" alone. Wildlife, bear traps (?)

Can you fence your yard?

Reactions: AmandaNola

·
Registered
6,457 Posts

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Welcome to the forum..
Agree not to allow off lead. You can buy an exercise pen to set up in your yard to put him in so he does not run off..or use a retractor lead to give him more distance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.