Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A woman I work with was telling me her friend takes coconut oil, puts it into rubber candy molds, and freezes it. She then takes one and puts it with her dog's food in the morning.

It sounds like a great idea - cute and a bit simpler than spooning some out every morning.

My dogs don't eat coconut oil now but I do know it's good for them. Is it okay to freeze like that? And how much (approx.) can each dog consume? I have a 55 lb Aussie mix, a 13 lb terrier mix, and a 20 lb Cocker mix.

Thanks!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Well, oil is oil in any state, so freezing is fine. The only bad thing would be if it was in the freezer for ages and got freezerburned or absorbed weird stuff off of other foods. I'm not sure of the volume but I only do more than a half teaspoon a day for my dog who's 45ish pounds.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
I gave Jessie coconut oil but it made her tummy really gurgly and not so nice smell gas wise but it is good for dogs and every dog is different though you may want to start introducing it slowly

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I think the vet's at my clinic only recommend 1 teaspoon per 10 lbs of weight, so a 45 lb dog would be about a tablespoon, but if your dog hasn't had coconut oil before I would start at just a teaspoon before upping as it can cause diarrhea.

Reactions: Rain

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I don't see a problem with freezing it.
Sawyer and Maye love it, if im feeling lazy they are happy to just lick it off the spoon lol. In my case, they each get 1 teaspoon each for dinner, and that's for Sawyer who is 46 and Maye who is 28.
Another tip if you don't want to freeze, what I normally do is use a metal measuring spoon. Then run water from the sink on the hottest setting and stick the measuring spoon in the water long enough to melt slightly (it doesn't take long with metal), that way it easily slides out the spoon and if you want you can thoroughly mix it in. Weird tip, if you scrap the coconut oil into the spoon instead of getting a chunk (if that makes sense) it softens it and makes it a bit easier to get out of the spoon.

Oh im not sure if someone already mentioned this, but make sure you get unrefined cold pressed. I normally get carrington farms brand if you need a brand recommendation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts