Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I saw that there was a coconut oil thread before, but there was no mention of this awesomeness. I've been feeding coconut oil to improve Tuva's coat, but I had no idea it was such cool stuff.

This article showed that MCTs (Medium Chain Triglycerides, which are abundant in coconut oil) significantly improved the brain function of senior beagles.
Effects of beta-hydroxybutyrate on cognition... [Neurobiol Aging. 2004] - PubMed - NCBI

This one is an in vitro study showing that coconut oil directly reduced the damage to cortical neurons by the amyloid beta peptide. Many think Alzheimer's primarily worsens because this peptide is overproduced in the brain, so this study is a big deal for humans too. Below that study is an abstract on the effects of the peptide on Alzheimer's.
Coconut Oil Attenuates the Effects of Amylo... [J Alzheimers Dis. 2013] - PubMed - NCBI
Alzheimer's disease and the amyloid-beta pe... [J Alzheimers Dis. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI

Aaand here is Dr. Dodd's summary of coconut oil's benefits, with a Q & A at the bottom it seems.
Dr. Jean Dodds' Pet Health Resource Blog | Coconut Oil: The

It also makes their coats and breath divine, and may fight bacterial/ microbial infections! Cheers!

PS: No, I don't sell coconut oil. :p

·
Registered
259 Posts
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
259 Posts
If I though you were selling the stuff, you'd be talking about a specific brand and link to your shop :p

I "discovered" coconut oil about a month ago and am in love with it. I defy see a shininess to Call's coat, same as mine. I've been reading about all its benefits, though think some are exaggerated. The Alzheimer's one is new to me.

Keep in mind, while it's full of good fat, coconut oil has 14 grams of it a tablespoon, so you only want you or your pets to consume it in very small amounts
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Keep in mind, while it's full of good fat, coconut oil has 14 grams of it a tablespoon, so you only want you or your pets to consume it in very small amounts
Posted via Mobile Device
Definitely! According to Dr. Dobbs, no health risk has been shown so long as CO comprises less than 10% of the dog's diet, but I play it safe. I alternate between 1tbsp EV olive oil and 1 tbsp EVCO daily, mixed in with her food (half in each meal). For me, I've stared using it in places i might otherwise use butter. It makes for wonderful "buttered" toast.

For those who don't already use it, recommendations are to start *really slowly*, just like with any dietary change. As in, start with 1/4 tsp per day and move up from there. Going too fast may cause diarrhea and "flu like symptoms" as the dog's body isn't used to it. Recommended dose AFTER the slow start is 1tsp/day per 10lb of body weight, have seen this in several places. Hence, at 35lb, I give my dog 1 tbsp/day.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for sharing. I've been cooking/baking with coconut oil but never actually gave it to my dog. I will definitely try this.
Awesome! Remember to start small, and it's best to use extra virgin CO, organic preferred, as it has more of the good stuff and less chance of bad that way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts