Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My wife and I have decided to get our first dog so the battle has started over which breed we would like to get. When I was young I had a golden Labrador which I loved but we have decided for now to get a smaller dog as it is only the two of us.

I would like to get a cocker spaniel however my wife does not like the long ears (personally I'm quite a fan..). She wants to get a Bichon Frise because her parents have one, but having had a labrador before this is a step too far towards a small dog for me.

So after plenty of debating about the merits of each dog breed, my wife has suggested cockerpoos. From my research it looks like they can vary in appearance quite a lot. It looks like you can get cockerpoos that look quite similar to cocker spaniels but then you can also get cockerpoos that look closer to poodles. I have told my wife that these are Bishon Frises in disguise!

So my questions are:

1) Is it possible to get a cockerpoo that looks close to a cocker spaniel. Are there any cockerpoo owners that can offer me advice? Has anybody has the same dilema as me?

2) Can anybody recommend a different breed of dog that perhaps we haven't considered.

Thank you very much to anybody who helps here.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
No, there is no way to get a predictable puppy in looks if you choose a mixed breed. No one can promise that; heck, I breed show-line Miniature Schnauzers and even my pups aren't all suitable for show, you probably get about one or two puppies each show litter that will be suitable to be shown; the others may go an inch over or under size, have ears that are too large, a coat that isn't perfect, etc. So if I can barely predict it with my show bred puppies, how on earth can someone who is mix breeding predict what their puppies will look like? They can't.

I really suggest looking for another breed, as you won't find what you're looking for with this one, to be completely frank with you. There are plenty of breeds that fulfil your requirements though, I'm sure if you ask in another section and describe your lifestyle, there are loads you could choose from. You could even do a really good thing and go to a rescue centre to pick out a puppy if you'd want. :)

·
Registered
894 Posts
I agree.

A new thread outlining your lifestyle and what you're both looking for might throw up some new ideas.

For example, if you want a high energy gun dog that's smaller than a lab, maybe a duck toller would be a good option.

We got our dog from a rescue though we were looking at tollers and labs before we checked out the shelters. Sometimes the dog finds you!

·
Registered
230 Posts
List of Small Dog Breeds - Smallest Dog Breeds - Little Dogs - Miniature Dog Breeds

My fiance and I referenced this site when deciding on a dog breed. :) We wanted a small to medium dog.. An easy to train/smart dog, an active breed, good with kids.. So we just narrowed it down by which breeds fell into what we wanted and did more research on the breeds we liked until we made a decision. If you do take a look.. Be sure to read additional information on the breeds you like! That site is just a very simple overview.

Long story short, we found the mini aussies and fell in love. And really, if you want a higher energy, intelligent breed.. You should check out the Mini/Toy Australian Shepherd.. which are in the process of being recognized as North American Shepherds. There's some controversy about them as far as their standing, so I recommend you read about them and make a decision for yourself if you want one. But I love our guy and don't really care myself. He's perfect for us. He is a high energy breed, but we also chose one of the mellowest pups from the litter. He's pretty relaxed as long as he gets his walks and play time in. That would range from pup to pup, though. One of our favorite things about him is that he looks like a bigger dog in a smaller frame, haha. My fiance also didn't want a poodle!

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Maybe the thing to do is go to a shelter and pick out a nice dog you fall in love with. There are many "one of a kinds" there, many mixed breeds, and you might just find something you had not thought of. Most shelters are now very good at matching people with the type of dog that fits best into their lifestyles.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I agree with Tess. When you are ready, go to your local shelter and talk with the staff. You will find someone perfect that way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts