Dog Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 11 y/o cocker has severe diarrhea have been to vet numerous times, put her on probiotics and Metronidazole 500 mg and is on Royal Canine Gastro dry food. She eats only her dog food. Have tried chicken and rice, made it worse. Does anyone think it might be the food it has grains in it. Help I am desperate put a call in my vet waiting for a call back. It seems to happen between 1 and 2 hours after feeding.

·
Super Moderator
1,609 Posts
As chicken and rice made it worse, I wonder if she could have developed an intolerance to chicken, which is the protein in Royal Canin Gastro I believe.

Could you try feeding fish and rice (also easy to digest) for a couple of days and see if that helps? If it does, you may have your answer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As chicken and rice made it worse, I wonder if she could have developed an intolerance to chicken, which is the protein in Royal Canin Gastro I believe.

Could you try feeding fish and rice (also easy to digest) for a couple of days and see if that helps? If it does, you may have your answer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Vet put her on prednisone on day 5 still has watery diarrhea took her off royal canine tried boiled hamburger rinse it off she loves it but still has diarrhea help she is drinking water fine but has lost weight she was never a chubby dog so very worried other than that she is her happy self

·
Super Moderator
1,609 Posts
Hamburger is usually quite heavy on seasoning and fat, I'm sure she will love it but it's not a healthy food.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Put a call into my vet he will be in tomorrow stopped feeding her boiled hamburger and put her on plain white rice she is on last day of prednisone did not have bowel movement till about an hour ago same thing diarrhea is a light brown color and a little mucous in it. Going to vet tomorrow do not know what else to do.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Took cocker to the vet again he gave her amoxicillin and flagle with probiotics on Friday put her on salmon sweet potato and pumpkin food still has diarrhea took stool sample no parasites still has diarrhea don't know what to do. She is hungry all the time and drinks plenty of water does anyone have any ideas. She also acts like her energetic self.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
took my cocker to vet again today he sent out poop sample to lab thought she had pancreatic enzyme inefficiency does not have it. She is on a special diet from Royal Canine brought her home runny diarrhea again. Please has anyone experienced anything like this one good thing she gained 2 lbs since her last visit.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Read the ingredients on the food the vet gave her, does it contain any poultry at all. Any chicken, turkey, or duck? If it does, and she has a sensitivity to chicken, then the food will not help. Also if you are giving her any treats read the ingredients and make sure they do not contain poultry. Try fasting her for at least 12 hours, 24 hours is better if she can handle it, my boy can't, and then start feeding her small amounts of poultry free food. Make sure everything you feed her is poultry free, hopefully that will be the problem.

If it isn't then I'd look into getting her some digestive enzymes because sometimes dogs with EPI come back with false negatives. A few years back we had an owner of a dog posting on here that had that happen. There is a website for dog owners with EPI dogs, if you want the link let me know and I'll PM it to you.

A few years back my boy developed colitis, and like your boy he had diarrhea, his stank to high heaven and had some mucus in it. The vet prescribed some medicine and gave us prescription food to help his tummy. He finished the medicine but still had diarrhea. I switched him to chicken and rice, but there was no difference. I finally got a clue that it might be the chicken that was causing it. I cooked some sweet potato and mixed it with some lean beef, then fed that to him for a few days, he started to get better so I mixed in some of his kibble. His stool started getting softer, his kibble had chicken in it, I checked his treats and they had chicken in them. Next step was switching him to chicken free everything, since then he's not had a problem with soft stool unless I accidently get something for him that contains chicken.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here's the link to the thread where the EPI test came back negative. Dog lost a lot of weight (about 30%) in a short time, need help
Read the ingredients on the food the vet gave her, does it contain any poultry at all. Any chicken, turkey, or duck? If it does, and she has a sensitivity to chicken, then the food will not help. Also if you are giving her any treats read the ingredients and make sure they do not contain poultry. Try fasting her for at least 12 hours, 24 hours is better if she can handle it, my boy can't, and then start feeding her small amounts of poultry free food. Make sure everything you feed her is poultry free, hopefully that will be the problem.

If it isn't then I'd look into getting her some digestive enzymes because sometimes dogs with EPI come back with false negatives. A few years back we had an owner of a dog posting on here that had that happen. There is a website for dog owners with EPI dogs, if you want the link let me know and I'll PM it to you.

A few years back my boy developed colitis, and like your boy he had diarrhea, his stank to high heaven and had some mucus in it. The vet prescribed some medicine and gave us prescription food to help his tummy. He finished the medicine but still had diarrhea. I switched him to chicken and rice, but there was no difference. I finally got a clue that it might be the chicken that was causing it. I cooked some sweet potato and mixed it with some lean beef, then fed that to him for a few days, he started to get better so I mixed in some of his kibble. His stool started getting softer, his kibble had chicken in it, I checked his treats and they had chicken in them. Next step was switching him to chicken free everything, since then he's not had a problem with soft stool unless I accidently get something for him that contains chicken.
Thank you for all your help all her symptoms are for epi trying the enzyme powder to see if it works day 1 will let you know

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
I really hope that it does! Make sure to get one of the ones that vets, or others with EPI dogs, recommend. From what the OP in the thread I linked learned the ones that they sell at pet shops are not strong enough.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts