Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have an 8 year old cocker spaniel male. He is very active and I take him for two 30 minutes to an hour walks every day. He is absolutely fine on the walks. He runs and catches the ball etc but over the past week he has been struggling with his back legs to get on and off his chair. I was just wanting any advice from anyone who knows anything about this before I take him to the vets. He is still upbeat and happy just not using his back legs as normal. Any advice would be great thank you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
could be hip dysplasia. my dog was diagnosed last year when she was 8 (she's a lab), however because of her age/weight it wasn't really that shocking of a diagnosis. We're managing to keep it under control by giving her joint protector supplements and we also use the Ortocanis hip brace for dogs on her when we go for longer walks, or in the morning when I notice she's stiffer or seems to be in discomfort.

If this is what's happening to your pup it's a chronic condition and you really need to get it checked out by your vet.. if not just to be able to start making changes so that your dog is more comfortable. Sometimes it's hard to tell when dogs are in pain, they can really be quiet sufferers sometimes.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts