Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum, so I'm not really sure if I put this post in the right section.

Anyways, my family and I had to put our dog, Patches, to sleep on his 11th birthday this past March. We've been thinking about getting another dog. We fostered an unknown mix from a rescue group, but the struggle of not knowing the breed and what to expect from him was a bit of a nightmare. He was definitely some type of terrier mix. My parents want a non-shedding dog that will stay under 30 pounds. I couldn't care less about any of that. My cousins just got a tiny Shihpoo puppy they found on Greenfield Puppies. That site makes me feel a bit weird. I'm worried that a lot of the breeders are practicing unethical behaviours and maybe run puppy mills. Greenfield Puppies' FAQ states that if they find that a breeder is violating the law or abusing their dogs, they will remove them from the site. It's just so difficult to tell. I've researched how to interview breeders and pick up on red flags. I also understand what types of qualities to look for in a responsible breeder.

I'm in the New Jersey area and a lot of "breeders" are about 2 hours away in Pennsylvania. Some of them seem either 1) too good to be true, or 2) kind of sketchy. We got Patches from Cuddlespice Cockapoos, but they no longer breed since the owner passed away. Her very close friend, and someone she mentored, started her own breeding business but I haven't seen any updates on her website.

Basically what I'm looking for is some advice. The breeds we're looking at are Cockapoos, Shihpoos, and the mix that sometimes goes by the name of "Teddy Bears." My parents want a dog that will 1) stay below 30 pounds, 2) be hypoallergenic, and 3) be easy to train. I'm not sure of any reputable breeders ever since ours passed away. If you have any advice or facts that you think would be helpful, please let me know!!

Please be nice to me, thank you!! :)

·
Registered
518 Posts
None of the dogs you mention are breeds they are crosses and there are very few reputable breeders of crosses because there are no regualtions regarding health checks etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just never been a fan. I know you're not supposed to pick a dog on the way they look, but I personally don't like the way poodles look on their own. Mixed with something else they're great, but on their own... eh.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
None of the dogs you mention are breeds they are crosses and there are very few reputable breeders of crosses because there are no regualtions regarding health checks etc.
Very true. What if the breeder breeds with say a poodle and a cocker spaniel and they have vet records and all of that?

Also, I forgot to mention that we're also looking at the Havanese dog breed. Any helpful info on them?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Just never been a fan. I know you're not supposed to pick a dog on the way they look, but I personally don't like the way poodles look on their own. Mixed with something else they're great, but on their own... eh.
Fair enough. We actually have a pure-bred poodle. I can say on no uncertain terms that it's an amazing dog. It takes a lot of energy to make sure that he gets enough exercise but the strong "hearding" instinct makes it a tremendously social dog. Naturally, you can clip it to look like a stupid-ass poodle but we decided to clip our dog like a labradoodle. It was one of the conditions I had when we were choosing a dog.... a poodle was fine but I objected to the stupid cuts.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Very true. What if the breeder breeds with say a poodle and a cocker spaniel and they have vet records and all of that?

Also, I forgot to mention that we're also looking at the Havanese dog breed. Any helpful info on them?
Vet records mean nothing, you need specific breeding fitness tests to rule out gentic problems. Plus you have no idea if the pup will take after mum or dad,, Ive seen crosses that look 100% like one parent so you might choose a pup and as it grows find that it looks just like a poodle , what will you do then?
Look, I realise you have to be attrated to a dog in order to give it a place in your home and heart but think about the breeding and the traits of these dogs because the two youve mentioned are very different regarding breed traits.

Ask yourself , what can I offer a dog? then ask yourself what traits you want...hunting, guarding, lap dog, etc etc only then can you narrow it down to a breed..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fair enough. We actually have a pure-bred poodle. I can say on no uncertain terms that it's an amazing dog. It takes a lot of energy to make sure that he gets enough exercise but the strong "hearding" instinct makes it a tremendously social dog. Naturally, you can clip it to look like a stupid-ass poodle but we decided to clip our dog like a labradoodle. It was one of the conditions I had when we were choosing a dog.... a poodle was fine but I objected to the stupid cuts.
LOL thank you for clipping him like a labradoodle. I'm a dog groomer and whenever people ask for the "poodle cut" I cry a little bit. But I've heard that they're good dogs I'm just not attracted to them on their own.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Vet records mean nothing, you need specific breeding fitness tests to rule out gentic problems. Plus you have no idea if the pup will take after mum or dad,, Ive seen crosses that look 100% like one parent so you might choose a pup and as it grows find that it looks just like a poodle , what will you do then?
Look, I realise you have to be attrated to a dog in order to give it a place in your home and heart but think about the breeding and the traits of these dogs because the two youve mentioned are very different regarding breed traits.

Ask yourself , what can I offer a dog? then ask yourself what traits you want...hunting, guarding, lap dog, etc etc only then can you narrow it down to a breed..
Okay, thank you I see what you mean. Our Cockapoo, Patches, was bred with other Cockapoos so he didn't look like either a Cocker Spaniel or a Poodle.

Well, I'd really like a sturdy dog that I can take with me on hikes and to the beach... but my parents are against anything that isn't small, cute, and doesn't shed. So that really narrows down my options. I'm open to really any trait, but I really really want a retriever... but parents said no. So I'm just looking for anything that they will say yes to.

I've done a bit of research on the Havanese and they seem like pretty good dogs, just struggle with separation which I'm sure we can work on.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
We found our bischon/poodle mix at the local shelter. She has been the perfect dog for the 10+ years we have had her, she will be eleven in a week or so. Check your local shelter, they get some amazing dogs that are available for adoption.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Well, I'd really like a sturdy dog that I can take with me on hikes and to the beach...
Why wouldn’t you be able to take a smaller dog to the beach or on hikes? If not adopting from a shelter, I highly recommend you getting a purebred puppy from a serious breeder. Don’t support the unserious and irresponsible breeding of these designer dogs with poodle in them. Why can’t you get a purebred Poodle? Havanese, Maltese, Bolgonese, Bichon frisée are other good, non shedding, breeds you can look into. But there is much more information needed to find the right breed. What can you offer the dog?

And just as a side note, you can’t be sure that a poodlemix won’t shed.

·
Super Moderator
1,618 Posts
Agree with the posters above. Poodles are smart, agile dogs that, when adult, will happily accompany you on bikes and to the beach. Unlike the crosses, which will carry a shedding gene, they are guaranteed not to shed. And you can have them clipped to look like a cockapoo. You can tell people you have a proper poo!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Okay, thank you I see what you mean. Our Cockapoo, Patches, was bred with other Cockapoos so he didn't look like either a Cocker Spaniel or a Poodle.

Well, I'd really like a sturdy dog that I can take with me on hikes and to the beach... but my parents are against anything that isn't small, cute, and doesn't shed. So that really narrows down my options. I'm open to really any trait, but I really really want a retriever... but parents said no. So I'm just looking for anything that they will say yes to.

I've done a bit of research on the Havanese and they seem like pretty good dogs, just struggle with separation which I'm sure we can work on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got my cockapoo Lenny from cuddle spice. He's just been the best dog ever! I would definitely want another. It's a shame that the breeders are gone.
I totally understand that you want what you want in a dog. And once you've had a great cockapoo you don't want to go back!
Let me know how your search ends up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got my cockapoo Lenny from cuddle spice. He's just been the best dog ever! I would definitely want another. It's a shame that the breeders are gone.
I totally understand that you want what you want in a dog. And once you've had a great cockapoo you don't want to go back!
Let me know how your search ends up.
OMG! You got a cockapoo from there too, that's awesome! I was so sad to see that the owner passed away.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I love all the poodle mixes. We have a yorkipoo and a tiny toy poodle puppy. Both are amazing. You can find good breeders whichever way you decide to go. :) Good luck on your puppy hunting!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts