Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got this recipe somewhere online and then made several changes to it adn these cookies have been a real hit with almost every dog....

pre-heat oven to 400

you'll need 2 bowls, in the first bowl, mix together the following "dry" ingredients:

3 cups flour (i use wheat flour, but i think alternative flours will work too)
1 cup cornmeal
2 cups oatmeal
1/4-1/3 cup milled flaxseeds(you can omit these if you cannot find it, it is important that they are milled and not whole)

in the second bowl combine the following "wet" ingredients:

1/2 cup peanut butter (it is easiest to start with the peanut butter and slowly add the other "wet" ingredients to make a paste, this makes the peanut butter blend in better)
3/4 cup oil
4 eggs
4 tsp vanilla
1 cup beef/chicken broth

once you have a consistant "wet" mixture (it won't be pretty to look at;))slowly start adding in the dry mixture. once it is all mixed up, roll it out to about 1/4 inch thickness and cut it into shapes with cookie cutters. put the cut out shapes on a cookie sheet (non-stick/sprayed with non-stick spray) the dough doesn't "spread" as it bakes so you can put them very close together. bake for 20 minutes then transfer to cooling racks. this recipe makes about 80 cookies (about 1"x2")

let me know if your pup likes 'em

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
OH thanks for sharing!! I am going grocery shopping tonight-might pick up those ingredients :) I like making homemade biscuits because then you know there is no junk in them!

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OH thanks for sharing!! I am going grocery shopping tonight-might pick up those ingredients :) I like making homemade biscuits because then you know there is no junk in them!
me too! every once in a while i get clover some "junk food" as i call it, but i make most of his treats myself. i have a food dehydrator too so i can make jerky and i dry chicken livers out too. if you like to bake and you can think of variations to this recipe, let me know. i've also been thinking about using gelatin (i know where it comes from...but) to make some "chewy" type training treats and kong stuffers.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the food dehydrator is soo great. i dry out the chicken liver until they are sort of crunchy, stinks up the whole house! clover just loves it.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts