Dog Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hi, and welcome to DF! You sound like you're trying the best you can for your dog, so you have props from me for that.

My first thought was probiotics. I did a quick search on Amazon, and there's some very promising products there, particularly the "Probiotic Miracle," which, while it has an unfortunately hokey product name, the reviews are very good. There are two pages of results on the reviews from people for whose dogs that had diarrhea, this product helped, even. There were even more product reviews for the Purina probiotic (Fortiflora), but I tend to advise people to steer clear of Purina products.

You may also want to consider adding more fiber to Millie's diet (pumpkin, prunes, etc.), which can't hurt.

I'm curious, did your vet do a culture to find out if it was actually Clostridium? Did she have this issue before you got her? From the information I read on this page on the issue, apparently it's hard to identify (but lots of useful info on the site, nonetheless).

I've read so much on the probiotics in the last hour or so, I'm leaning toward getting some to try out on my Spicey, who is having an epic skin issue...!

I hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
562 Posts
Gah! I meant to suggest something with food too, but it got overlooked with all the probiotic stuff I was immersed in!

Rain is correct, it might be a sensitivity to food, which would mean a food experiment, which means finding something with a protein or grain (or no-grain) that she has NEVER eaten before. (Salmon, Buffalo, venison, etc.)

I have changed food for all my dogs for something that none of them have had before, mostly for the sake of my Spicey, who has a propensity toward skin issues, so what would benefit her would benefit them all, was my thinking. I can't say I've seen any definitive results, as I have changed/added/removed so many things in the battle with her latest skin issue that it could be one thing that helped, or none of them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.