Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We adopted a 1 year old female black lab/shep mix about 6 months ago (Millie) and she has had reoccuring bouts of diarrhea ever since we got her. The vet prescribed Metronidazole 500 mg and Pro Pectalin tablets. It cleared up. Then after about 3 successful weeks, it came back. Another round of meds, and again, fine. Then about a month later, it came back. The vet called it Clostridium. We have since ordered a 250 tablet container of pro pectalin from the internet and her last bout was solved with a few days of pro pectalin (no antibiotics). Just a few days ago, it's back.

Could it be her diet?

Millie is an indoor dog, eats a combination of canned Pro Plan Select adult carrot and chicken and the dry Pro Plan Select natural chicken and brown rice. We mix it half and half. This was the diet the rescue people said they had her on and we just kept it. She also gets Blue Buffalo Blue Bars Yogurt and Blueberry treats.

Any other thoughts? Anyone else have this problem? We absolutely LOVE this little girl. She is the sweetest, most loving, most patient dog we have ever had. She seems so appreciative to have a home.

Thanks, in advance, for any advice.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hi, and welcome to DF! You sound like you're trying the best you can for your dog, so you have props from me for that.

My first thought was probiotics. I did a quick search on Amazon, and there's some very promising products there, particularly the "Probiotic Miracle," which, while it has an unfortunately hokey product name, the reviews are very good. There are two pages of results on the reviews from people for whose dogs that had diarrhea, this product helped, even. There were even more product reviews for the Purina probiotic (Fortiflora), but I tend to advise people to steer clear of Purina products.

You may also want to consider adding more fiber to Millie's diet (pumpkin, prunes, etc.), which can't hurt.

I'm curious, did your vet do a culture to find out if it was actually Clostridium? Did she have this issue before you got her? From the information I read on this page on the issue, apparently it's hard to identify (but lots of useful info on the site, nonetheless).

I've read so much on the probiotics in the last hour or so, I'm leaning toward getting some to try out on my Spicey, who is having an epic skin issue...!

I hope this helps! :)

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
It could be the food if she has a sensitivity or allergy to chicken, or something else in the food.

To see if it's the food you are going to have to find a food that doesn't contain any of the grains, or proteins in her current food and treats and feed her only that for 6 to 8 weeks. Natural Balance offers a decent variety to choose from. If you have to feed treats I recommend using the canned version of the kibble or with Natural Balance they usually sell treats that match the kibble. If the diarrhea clears up then it was the food causing it, if it doesn't then it could be something else or it could still be the food since some dogs suffer from multiple food allergies.

About chicken, when searching for a food without it you need to carefully read the ingredients, if the food contains chicken fat, poultry, or an unspecified meat or fat then avoid the food.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THANK you for the quick response!! I'll take a look at the pages you've highlighted. It seems strange to increase fiber when the problem is diarrhea, but maybe it has the exact opposite effect on dogs than humans?

Yes, the vet did cultures to diagnose the clostridium. The vet's response to the reoccurring episodes is that that's just the way some dogs are. Since our little girl is only 1 year old, I'd hate to think she'll battle diarrhea all her life and we would like to find something that will help.

Thanks again for the info...I'm off to read what you've highlighted.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Gah! I meant to suggest something with food too, but it got overlooked with all the probiotic stuff I was immersed in!

Rain is correct, it might be a sensitivity to food, which would mean a food experiment, which means finding something with a protein or grain (or no-grain) that she has NEVER eaten before. (Salmon, Buffalo, venison, etc.)

I have changed food for all my dogs for something that none of them have had before, mostly for the sake of my Spicey, who has a propensity toward skin issues, so what would benefit her would benefit them all, was my thinking. I can't say I've seen any definitive results, as I have changed/added/removed so many things in the battle with her latest skin issue that it could be one thing that helped, or none of them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay - I have just read all of the reviews on the miracle probiotic that your suggested and we are willing to give it a try. We are also mixing more dry food instead of wet food in her 1/2 and 1/2 mixture thinking maybe the dry food will be better for diarrhea issues - but that's a complete guess!

Thanks again....we're off to order!

·
Registered
724 Posts
THANK you for the quick response!! I'll take a look at the pages you've highlighted. It seems strange to increase fiber when the problem is diarrhea, but maybe it has the exact opposite effect on dogs than humans?

Yes, the vet did cultures to diagnose the clostridium. The vet's response to the reoccurring episodes is that that's just the way some dogs are. Since our little girl is only 1 year old, I'd hate to think she'll battle diarrhea all her life and we would like to find something that will help.

Thanks again for the info...I'm off to read what you've highlighted.
That's what people are supposed to do too when they have loose stool, increase the fiber. That's basically what Metamucil is. You could try adding a probiotic for now to her food or some canned pumpkin and see if it firms her up.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Fibre is a great fix for many intestinal issues. Think of fibre as a sponge...if there is too much water in the intestines, the "sponge" soaks it up making the waste more firm. If there isn't enough water in the intestines, the "sponge" soaks it up from the tissues surrounding the intestines and makes it looser and easier to pass. Great thing that fibre!

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Could it be her diet?

Thanks, in advance, for any advice.
I would switch to a higher quality food and also switch the meat source.
I would try a single source food like Blue Basic, Wellness Simple or Zignature.
It could just be a meat intolerance to chicken.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts