Dog Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The coyote topic got me thinking... have any of you ever had a close encounter with a wild animal?

When my dad was in high school he was out deer hunting. He came across some mountain lion tracks in the snow and tracked it for two hours. He eventually came to a place in the snow where the tracks stopped. When he looked up he saw a snow-covered boulder covered in mountain lion tracks. While he was tracking the animal it was following him. Pretty eerie if you ask me. From what I have read, mountain lions are some of the quietest stalkers and will stalk their prey for as long as it takes. In my opinion, I think he was just watching my dad, because if he was sick he probably would have attacked much sooner.

The game wardens say that we do not have mountain lions or wolves here. But we do. Plenty of people have seen both. I think they say that because the numbers are very low and they don't wan't to worry people about something that isn't worth fretting about just yet.

Another encounter happened when my dad and brother were deer hunting. My dad hollered to my brother and told him to get behind a tree because he was in the middle of two very angry bull moose and he didn't even realize it.

I personally have never had too many wild encounters. I always caught frogs and such and there was a time when I was little and got chased by an angry mother partridge. That was one of the biggest scares of my life...

Oh and when I was little someone down the road from my grandparents house lost their tame rabbit. It then made bunches of babies with a wild hare and we chased the baby rabbits all the time, trying to catch them. They were all over my grandparent's and aunt's property. I chased one into the woods once and almost ran face to face with a bobcat sitting on a fallen tree. Talk about a scare!

It could have been a cat without a tail, but im pretty sure that it was a bobcat...

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I live in the middle of the woods, so we run into lots of animals.

One of the more recent ones was this summer. We have blueberry and strawberry patches in our field and I decided to go out and pick some blueberries. I happened to look out my window at the field and saw a huge black bear right where I was going to go pick. I did not go outside for a while after that. lol

Another time I went to take Woody out for a walk. Our driveway is 1000ft long and surrounded by woods. I was starting to walk down the driveway and heard something in the woods. I figured it was a chipmunk, but I looked anyway. Turns out it was a big coyote! I don't think I've ever run so fast. lol Woody didn't even see it. Some hunting dog he is. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
I run into wild animals all the time when I hike around here (deer, coyotes, opossums, skunks, mice/rats, snakes, beavers, etc.) and my dad and brother are both Eagle scouts and we are a hiking family - so I run into all kinds of other wild animals when we head to the mountains on vacation.

There have been a few times when I have walked past some brush in our pasture and have heard a very distinctive growl coming from it. Best thing to do is just keep going :). A couple of months ago Lexy was out barking at the lot (a small field surrounded by pasture and trees where the cattle come down to eat). I asked her what was wrong, and as if to answer me, a bobcat let out a nasty scream from the other side of the lot. It was eerie, but pretty cool.

Generally a touch of common sense and healthy respect is all you need to survive wildlife encounters. A lot of people get really afraid of wildlife, which isn't fair because that fear is then acted upon and wildlife draws the short end of the stick. As I told my mother on our vacation this year, we spend our days with the most dangerous animal of all: humans. Humans kill people (and other animals) at alarming rates, often for no real reason at all.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
In Scranton, PA, inside the city limits, I was out on my back deck* with my husband late on a summer night and suddenly men with flashlights walked into my yard.

My husband stands up and says, "What the hell are you doing?" and gets shushed. They were cops. So we watched for a while, figuring they were hunting a criminal that ran away and hid.

An hour later, I was laying down in the bedroom (facing the street on the opposite side of the house) and heard yelling and banging. I look outside and see a police van (aka "Drunktankmobile") rocking back and forth while several cops and a man in another uniform talked.

Turned out, they were hunting a mountain lion. In our back yard. They somehow got it into the van, it was angry and trying to escape.

*The house was a split level, so the back deck was 25 feet off the ground, which is why we felt safe to stay out and watch.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Once, I woke up early in the morning, and there was a wild beast in the bed next to me. I should stop picking up questionable women in shady bars while drunk, apparently.

On a serious note. I have wild animal encounters all the time - spend a lot of my free time hiking, backpacking, MTBing or just walking game trails.

I was hiking in the mountains of WV a few years ago, and suddenly, about 20-30 yards in front of me, a black bear cub crosses the trail. I was in a pickle there, because I didn't know whether the sow was to my left or right, and sitting still with a bear around wasn't ideal either. I ended up being very quiet, listening to find out where the sow was, as I didn't want to proceed down the trail and run into the sow. Then I hooted and hollered for a while as I walked. Just in case.

A few run-ins with coyotes, none resulting in anything major, but I did have a shotgun around.

A crazy ass deer once bolted through heavy brush and right across the trail not a few yards in front of me. I wasn't sure what to make of that.

I've seen plenty of bobcats around here, but they are quite shy, cautions and are hard to spot.

Run into snakes quite a bit while mountainbiking around here. Once, I nearly slammed into the back of a buddy and his bike, as he slammed to a stop after seeing a copperhead sprawled across the trail.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I've encountered a lot of wildlife in my life. I was treed by some javelina once while deer hunting. Well, I thought I was treed. Turns out they just wanted my orange. Javelina make loud clacking noises with their jaws when they're agitated and sound pretty scary. They're harmless.

Once at the Aransas Wildlife refuge I was looking for some alligators to show my niece from NY. I was looking in one of the sloughs where we'd seen them before. Didn't spot any so we were walking back toward the trail when three ran (yes they can run pretty fast) right in front of us to get in the water. My niece was not amused.

Hiking and such I've encountered rattlesnakes, water moccasins, coyotes, deer, raccoons, skunk, opossom and lots of wild hogs.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I work at Staten Island University Hospital. We have turkeys. Flocks of turkeys that while wild have become tame to people feeding them. So I get attacked by turkeys on the regular if I have the audacity to you know have food on me. I actually had one reach into my dog treat training pouch. Yes, they are that tall. Yes, they get that close. We also have swans at our local park near my home that nest there and they'll go for your throat when they've got swanlings around. I have deer in another local park, which is scary when you're walking your little dog down trails. We have a fairly big deer problem on the island lately. The only predators we have are cars so they're booming and there's no good way to cull them.

Reactions: Grabby and KodaKeet

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@NemoandMolly, My uncle lives on an island here in Maine and they have a huge deer problem as well... and recently, an overflow of deer ticks as a result.
Also, we have huge flocks of turkey's here! They sure are clumsy in flight, I watched one run into a snowy roof and then land in a snowbank. He was fine though. And another went to land on a snowy roof, skid all the way across, and fell off the other side.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
I saw what I think was a bear run quickly across my backyard one time. This was when I was indoors. I see wild turkeys all over the place. There are plenty of squirrels and chipmunks. I see lots of birds around here. They're nice to hear singing in the spring. I shouldn't forget the deer, skunks, newts, toads, and garter snakes. I see the newts on the forest floor when it's wet and humid outside.

Hiking deep in the woods I saw an animal of the canid kind about ten feet in front me. I stopped so as to not get any closer and the animal walked away at a good pace. It could have been a stray/lost dog, coyote or wolf. I don't know for sure. There's also rumors and possible sightings of wolves in New Hampshire which is cool. They're coming south to here from Canada.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Not me but a family member. He was riding his dirt bike and saw a moose. Called me to tell me he saw a moose. He asked me what to do. Ride that thing as fast as you can away from the moose I think would be wise. Especially after the moose began to go towards him. :eek:

·
Registered
521 Posts
I see wild turkeys all over the place. There are plenty of squirrels and chipmunks.
This spring a friend and I went turkey hunting. Picked a spot, sat for 3 hours or so. Called. Waited. Not a single tom. Moved to another spot, called and waited for another few hours. Did that over 2 days - nada. At some point, I was even dozing; drifting in and out of light sleep.

The first day was gorgeous - it was mid 70's, sunny with only a slight breeze to keep the temps down. I was sitting with my back against a large tree, my 12 gauge in hand, in the midst of some brush and tall grass overlooking a promising clearing in the woods. The breeze gently swayed the tall grass, and the gentle sounds of the forest were putting me to sleep. Fruitless hunt after a full day of calling, scouting and waiting for hours, but a glorious day overall.

Day two started off promising. I had a good hide near a large oak tree and some of the branches were above me. I'm sitting there calling the turkey for a while, but nothing shows. Nothing but a squirrel above me, that is. That little bugger spotted me early on and kept creeping down the branches to take a better look. Perhaps he didn't like me very much - he started screeching and making this loud chirping noise while eyeballing me the whole time. I'm sitting still making sure I don't move much, as the turkeys can see very well, and this little bugger is doing everything but throwing acorns at me. He was fussing about for well over an hour, until we left to find a different spot to sit at for a few hours.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
I've encountered a lot of wildlife in my life. I was treed by some javelina once while deer hunting. Well, I thought I was treed. Turns out they just wanted my orange. Javelina make loud clacking noises with their jaws when they're agitated and sound pretty scary. They're harmless.

Once at the Aransas Wildlife refuge I was looking for some alligators to show my niece from NY. I was looking in one of the sloughs where we'd seen them before. Didn't spot any so we were walking back toward the trail when three ran (yes they can run pretty fast) right in front of us to get in the water. My niece was not amused.

Hiking and such I've encountered rattlesnakes, water moccasins, coyotes, deer, raccoons, skunk, opossom and lots of wild hogs.
Alligators don't exist here. I think I would be afraid to go outdoors if they did. :D :eek: I like the fact that venomous snakes don't exist here either.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
This spring a friend and I went turkey hunting. Picked a spot, sat for 3 hours or so. Called. Waited. Not a single tom. Moved to another spot, called and waited for another few hours. Did that over 2 days - nada. At some point, I was even dozing; drifting in and out of light sleep.

The first day was gorgeous - it was mid 70's, sunny with only a slight breeze to keep the temps down. I was sitting with my back against a large tree, my 12 gauge in hand, in the midst of some brush and tall grass overlooking a promising clearing in the woods. The breeze gently swayed the tall grass, and the gentle sounds of the forest were putting me to sleep. Fruitless hunt after a full day of calling, scouting and waiting for hours, but a glorious day overall.

Day two started off promising. I had a good hide near a large oak tree and some of the branches were above me. I'm sitting there calling the turkey for a while, but nothing shows. Nothing but a squirrel above me, that is. That little bugger spotted me early on and kept creeping down the branches to take a better look. Perhaps he didn't like me very much - he started screeching and making this loud chirping noise while eyeballing me the whole time. I'm sitting still making sure I don't move much, as the turkeys can see very well, and this little bugger is doing everything but throwing acorns at me. He was fussing about for well over an hour, until we left to find a different spot to sit at for a few hours.
That must have been slightly annoying. Squirrels are cute I will admit though. :D

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
We've had plenty of encounters. My boyfriend's family has a farm in the country and my parents house backs up to a swamp. Growing up there was a rabbit that had a tendency to give birth in the fenced in portion of our yard. Our Brittany had a tendency to capture the young and bring them back to us... Sometimes alive, sometimes not. The rabbit found a new place when we got an outdoor cat who likes to eat small creatures and brings us back large rabbits as gifts...

Some funny encounters with animals:

When I was about 11 years old I was eating breakfast at the kitchen table. I heard a crash in the living room, looked over, and saw a female wood duck sitting in the fireplace. We had to chase her out the front door while the dog was trying to catch her.

We had a pond in our front yard and mine and my brother's bedrooms overlooked the pond. I was looking out of the window one day and saw a deer stuck in the pond. We almost had to call wildlife and fisheries to come get her out, but she eventually figured it out.

My mother was sitting in the backyard one day and saw a hawk fly overhead with something in its claws. She then heard a splash in the swimming pool and saw what she described as a "miniature beaver" swimming towards the side. Turns out that the hawk had a squirrel in its feet, and the squirrel managed to break free while conveniently positioned above the pool. The little fellow managed to make it to the side and my mom had to protect it from the two dogs and a cat waiting for it.

One particularly scary time:

Because of the pond and swamp we regularly have snakes around the house. They usually don't find their way by the house or the fenced backyard, and we've only seen two rattlesnakes on the property. They're not typical to these environments. Dad and I were in the yard with our Brittany and saw him having the time of his life playing with something. Spinning in circles, slamming his feet on the ground, jumping around. We looked to see what he was playing with and were horrified to find a little rattlesnake when we got close. The poor fellow was (understandably) about to strike at him, and I jerked the dog away while my dad stomped on the snake's head. We reacted quickly... we're lucky no one got bitten getting so close to that snake and I felt horrible that my dad stomped on him to kill him.

·
Registered
223 Posts
We see black bears and cubs at SO's father's house every time we go there. They eat the apples off the apple trees as well as the bird seed. One time after we had dinner there we walked out the the house and heard a "woo woo" sound from the bushes next to us. It kind of sounds like an owl but deeper. This is the "warning" sounds bears give when you're invading their space. So I'm like yeah nooo and ran back inside. Ryker starts barking which scares the bears off. It was a MOMMA AND CUBS not more than 5 ft from where we were walking!

Luckily bears are predictable unless they are a male bear during mating season. Yikes! They get way to close to the house for comfort.

Other than that I haven't have many close encounters. I saw a coyote run in front of my car a few weeks ago. We used to see fox cubs at my mothers house.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I now live in SE England - not a lot of wild life left, and that there is tends to be rodent or bird. However, when I had an allotment, I saw traces of wild life. I tried growing cantaloup, and the climate and growing season are not appropriate. I put the vines in my compost heap, surrounded by walls. It grew very nicely - then I found the ripe cantaloup devoured - with the tracks of badgers showing who did it. I started corn and tomatoes off on the window sill, then transplanted. The mice got the lowest ear of corn and the lower tomatoes. (They ignored things like cauliflower, which are indigenous. No, they went for the imported stuff.) Then there are the birds. I've got a large cherry tree in the back garden. Birds swoop in, take the cherries. I did have cherries one year - a bird of prey (chicken hawk?) had a nest near by and got the birds. That was the only year we had the cherries; but that year, we had so many we were giving them away.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts