Dog Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my dog recently got groomed about a week ago…
He came back with small burns around him but they’ve been fading up until now. Tonight is the worse i’ve seen them and my dog. We haven’t slept all night and he’s been crying, shaking, and moving around frantically to try and get comfortable. I’m not sure what to do or what to put.. I’ve tried it all, Neopsorin, Coconut Oil, Cold Compress. I heard Gentian Violet could work. Please give as much as advice as you can..Thank you.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I would be inclined to ask the groomer for advice. This might not result in any useful advice but it will give you an opening to discuss how this happened. I would personally be very curious because I would be trying to make a decision as to whether or not I wanted to take my dog back there again in the future.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Suggest you have your pup seen by a vet for diagnosis and appropriate treatment. It looks to me that he may have developed 'hot spots' (a skin infection that can be triggered by skin irritation ) and may need antibiotics and/or pain management. I have had it happen to my dogs when they were shaved for surgery. You may also want to find a better groomer.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I agree with vet check, if these aren't hotspots they could easily turn into them very quickly. The vet may also he able to give you some pain meds to make your poor pup more comfortable.

I would also be sending in a complaint! No clipper should burn an animal. The worst a patient has got from clipping in my clinic is clipper rash, which is a relatively normal reaction to beign shaved in sensitive skinned animals. But no actual burns or wounds ever. And we are not even professional groomers...

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Suggest you have your pup seen by a vet for diagnosis and appropriate treatment. It looks to me that he may have developed 'hot spots' (a skin infection that can be triggered by skin irritation ) and may need antibiotics and/or pain management. I have had it happen to my dogs when they were shaved for surgery. You may also want to find a better groomer.
X2 My pup developed some bacterial irritation near the area after he was shaved for neutering.

Poor little pup, I hope your vet has some answers.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Poor little guy!! I would never take my dog back to a groomer who did that. I never did that to my dog even when I was just starting to learn how to use clippers.

I think you should take the dog to a vet in order to get the right medication. some topical things could make it worse or be toxic for the dog if he licks them off. And, what others said about it possibly developing into hot spots is true.

Take him to the vet, and then maybe present the vet bill along with photographs to the groomer. The groomer won't pay it, but it gives you the opportunity to calmly and politely point out to him or her that this is the reason you won't ever be back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for the thoughtful words! I started spraying Epsom salt mix on the area and it’s almost fully gone now. I will be cautious next time on who is grooming my little one….

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I'm glad it healed up, I couldn't get an appointment with the vet for 2 weeks and it healed itself before that too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts