Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
I am starting doing my own grooming for my Chorkie(Chihuahua + Yorkie)
I have a question about blade size.
I will never want her hair shorter than 3/4" nor longer than 1 1/4".
What size blade would I want to use? And also, blade comb?
I am confused regarding the difference between the blade and the comb. Some cut without the comb and some with, it seems.
??

·
Super Moderator
1,855 Posts
Ok, as I understand it the comb fits on to the blade / teeth and stops the cutting edge from getting too close to the coat. So if the comb is, say, 1cm long it stops the teeth getting closer than 1cm and the clip being shorter than that. Then, the blade itself has a small amount of adjustment where the cutting teeth can be widened or narrowed by a very small amount, hardly worth bothering about for a non-professional tidy up.

They all could cut without the comb, but then it's a really short cut. Most will come with 4 or 5 combs of different sizes so you just use the one(s) that suit the length you want.

Maybe @Groomer1 knows more?

I use something like this

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did not know the blade is adjustable like that. Interesting.
Thks.
Since most clippers seem to come with a #10 blade, and, I can buy a set of combs for depth purposes, then I guess the blade number is associated with the distance between teeth? Would that selection have to due with the hair courseness? i.e. fine hair vs heavy, tight hair? Matted hair?
I just don't know the blade number to get. She has fine, dense hair. I would guess like a cocker spaniel but not curly.. I attached a pre-groomed pic of her and a groomed pic if that helps. She is ultra black so it is hard to get a good pic of her.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts