Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a reactive 8 year old female dachshund. She has started urinating on the carpet. We have ruled out medical issues. We know why she does this. I have decided to go back to clicker training with her as she responds very well to that in the past.

She was in another home for about a year. When she returned to us her behaviors were out of control. I have found this time around she isn't responding to clicker training as well since she was in the other home. I of course started the "no mugging" basics with her. Once she has mastered that which is very quick, I move onto requiring eye contact and then move on to eye contact for a longer period of time before the click.

She will respond well to the eye contact if I click immediately and provide the treat. If she is required to maintain eye contact for even five seconds she now reverts to whining to gain the treat which she has never done before. It makes it hard to move on with her training to a positive interrupter, barking, etc.

Anyone else have this issue and what did you do to move past it?

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Whining ime is often frustration. Higher rater of reinforcement and breaking the behavior down into smaller steps normally takes care of it.

I would rebuild the behavior and make quiet part of the behavior (eye contact). If she whines when you ask for 5 seconds of attention then you've pushed too far. Start with just a second or two of quiet eye contact and build from there. If she wines during a rep, don't reward. Take note and come up with a plan to address it. Could be just trying again or going back to a previous step to help remind that quiet is part of the behavior and make her successful.
:)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I tried that before you answered and shortened the session to less than three minutes. That seemed to do the trick. I started with one second about ten times, then moved to two for ten times or so, etc all the way up to five. She is more reactive than I have ever seen her be. I went back over some of Emily Larlham's vids as her method is what I use.

I may just skip over the "no mugging" session and move to capturing calmness. She won't mug my hand now and how reactive she is, seems to be hindering progress with obtaining eye contact. If I want her to be successful I need to get her to calm down. I have always used real meat with her but may also make the reward less enticing for her so she isn't so excitable for sessions. Thanks for your input.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts