Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My lab is now 9mo old. ive been clicker training her for about 5mo. lately ive been moving away from the clicker and ive notices she doesn't like to listen when i dont have the clicker. mostly with the "come" command. shell look and me and then walk the other way. I pull out the clicker, say come, and she runs at me. im assuming this mostly has to do with her associating the clicker with treats. but ehat do i do so shell listen to me without the clicker? thanks

·
Registered
223 Posts
I don't use a clicker with my dogs I just use the words "YES" and "NO."

Give the command, if the dog obeys say "YES" and immediately reward. It's very similar procedure to clicker training except you've replaced the "click" noise with the word yes.

My dogs associate the word YES with rewards. YES means the dog did the right thing and is getting paid! Hurray! NO means the dog did not offer the correct behavior and no rewards. Often if I say NO, my dogs will make a second (or third) attempt at offering the right behavior until I say YES.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Are you working on this cue outside the house without the clicker? If so, you might need to start back inside, and gradually move away from the Clicker.
Remember, the Clicker is only to TEACH behavior, so once your dog is reliably offering you the behavior/have it on cue, I would start transitioning to a marker word (I use Yes!) and a variety of reinforcement.
I would also like to note, sometimes my reward is me being over-the-moon excited, which my dogs both like (I use this for high arousal behaviors like agility), or sometimes excitement + reinforcer (food, thrown ball, game of tug etc.), which I mostly use for my recalls.

Edit: Just saw that she is nine months old - she might just be acting like a naughty adolescent. ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts