Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! We will be adding an English Springer Spaniel pup to our family sometime in November. I would love for him to have a clever name that relates to what he is bred to do. Problem is that I'm not that creative. Anyone who's good at this I would love to hear suggestions :) Thanks!

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Well I like it when show names play off call names or vice versa. Did you have an idea for a call name for him first?

Maybe something like "Watch the Birdie" might be cute.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I agree! I was trying to come up with short name first,Gauge, hunter, drake( male duck) that's all I came up with. I like Drake but my husband says springers are upland bird dogs not typically duck dogs? I happen to think they are versatile dogs so keeping that in mind I have thought about Jack "Jack of all trades master of none" they can do a little of everything

·
Registered
176 Posts
Not to bomb your thread with another question, but if I can ask one from the sidelines and then disappear?

Whenever I watch agility trials on YouTube, they always display a name exactly what you guys are describing, like a short phrase. "Catcher in the Rye".

Is it common to name dogs like this then shorten it to a nickname? Where did this come from? I'm so curious.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Jack of all Trades would be cute and I also like Catcher in the Rye, a call name for that could be Holden too! I think Drake is a really cool name as well, and not as common as Jack. And ESSes totally hunt ducks! Not exclusively but they definitely do. Maybe for Drake it could be something silly like "If It Walks Like a Duck". I also thought of that silly kids song "The little duck with the feather on his back, he led the others with a quack quack quack!" So maybe something like "Feather on His Back" (that's also not bird specific!) or "He Led the Others". Oh, or you can have one that's got the word pheasant in it and call him Fez! Maybe "Flight of the Pheasant".

@MollyDoggy This is a sort of show dog registration. I don't know the EXACT origins but it makes it so every single dog has a completely unique name. So they have their long "unique" show name, and then a "call name", which is just what it sounds like. That way even if there's 25 dogs named Max in the show, none of their registered names on the show roster will be the same. This avoids confusion in competitive sports. Along with that it also shows family connections. Typically a kennel will make it mandatory that all their dog's have the kennel's name, or the mother or father's name in that dog's registered name. For example my Doxies' names were "Hillside's Teckel Badger Boy" (Teckel) and "Hillside's Barney Rubble" (Barney). That way when people see the show and see a dog that's a real champion, they will know which kennel/dog bred such an animal, and they will seek out that breeder/sire/dam for their dogs.

Reactions: cld22

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@traciek88 - I like all of those. I was trying to figure out something with pheasant in it too because I think Fez for short is unique and a great name for on ESS :) I think that's a front runner for sure!! Of course I keep saying that because you all are way more creative than me! I knew I could can't on DF

·
Registered
641 Posts
If you like Pheasant (or Fez or Pheas for short), there's the lines from the song "The Simple Life": Some find it pleasant/Dining on pheasant." If you're planning on hunting pheasant with your dog, Pleasant on Pheasant might work as a registered name with Fez (or Pheas) for short. Certainly the song "The Simple Life" would imply a dog who wasn't demanding and was fairly easy going, which would be great, if the name could affect the dog's temperament. I know it really can't, but sometimes I do wonder when people name their dogs things like "Precious Baby Girl Princess" if they aren't asking for trouble.

I'm personally not so keen on Catcher in the Rye. Holden Caulfield wasn't exactly what you could call dependable, and if I hunted (which I don't), I think I'd prefer a dependable, well-balanced dog.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts