Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I need more information, my male 1 year old shi tzu mix has been having large puddles of clear liquid with a slight odor coming from is anus. I've taken him to the vet and they said the anal sacs maybe full and need expressing (only some liquid was found during express). A week later and guess what its leaking again (sigh)! I took him back in and they expressed the glands again but said they were completely empty and would check with the vet. I'm now doubting these people as I dont wont to continue paying them for an issue that's not being resolved. He's now had his anal glands expressed 3 times (external and internal) this month and he’s leaked 2 days in a row. I notice that the liquid comes out when he's excited and playful could this be a puppy thing? Is it diet and some sort of liquid diarrhea or a wheat and grain issue?
Sincerely
Confused

·
Banned
1,885 Posts
Ruh-roh... expressing the glands makes 'em 'lazy' or incompetent.

He's all growed-up at 12-MO - not a 'puppy' anymore. :)

The thread-title is a bit confusing - "anal-glands EXTRACTED" to me = surgically removed; he still has 'em, they've been manually expressed 3X.

I try to avoid manually-expressing anal glands, if at all possible; they lose muscle-tone & become dependent, more prone to blockage, abscess, & impaction. :( What does he weigh, & is he in good lean condition?
Obesity or even pudge can make anal-gland issues worse. U should be able to feel the edge of each of his ribs, with only slight pressure - if U have to *push* to find the rib's back edge, the side toward his tail, he's carrying extra padding.

Even if he's lean, adding pureed pumpkin / canned plain pumpkin to every meal is a simple way of helping his anal-glands express all on their own. Pumpkin is GRAS / Generally Regarded As Safe, & most dogs love the stuff. It's low-carb, smells & tastes sweet, is low-calorie, & has loads of soluble & insoluble fiber.

If he needs to lose wt, substituting 1/4 to 1/3 the volume of each regular meal with pumpkin helps to peel off the flab the same way it went on - steadily, week by week.
Don't cheat & eyeball his meal - measure it each time; substituting & keeping the volume the SAME means that he feels no deprivation, & won't dive into the trashcan or snatch a month-old chicken-bone up off the bike-path to swallow it. [Unless of course, he already does that. :p ]

- terry

1 - 2 of 2 Posts