Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been giving my 10wk old chihuahua some clavamox everyday for the last five days and just realized that I was supposed to refrigerate the antibiotic. He was being treated for an upper resp infection and seems to no longer have his cough. Does anybody know if not refrigerating the meds will make him sick?

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
If i recall correctly (worked at a cpl vets offices) if it is not refrigerated it just stops the effect of it. Meaning it wont work the way it should. U should call your vet and get a refill if they feel it necessary.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I did call the vet the next morning. I was so nervous i couldn't wait for responses. She said he'd be fine and if the cough wasn't gone she'd refill it. Thank Goodness. I was so scared for my baby. Lesson well learned.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I have done it before with a ferrets meds but only left it out for a cpl hours. it was fine. cpl days wasnt sure so im glad everything is fine and enjoy your baby :)

·
Banned
23 Posts
It's not likely to be harmful...but it may mean that he did not get proper treatment. Your vet will likely want to do another week of antibiotics even if he does seem cleared up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts