Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! My name is Maya and I'm from the United States but currently live in Northern Italy with my husband and our soon-to-be-adopted dog Bodhi. :D We've had dogs our entire life, from miniature weenie dogs to Golden Retrievers to mutts.

We decided not to bring my precious Golden Retriever mix, King, to Italy with us for a variety of reasons. He was 12 years old at the time, now 13. His vet recommended we not put him through the trans-Atlantic flight. So he's living out his years with some very close family friends, on a huge lot by the lake in Oklahoma! He loves it.

But I had to grieve a little bit before we jumped into having another dog. We waited to adopt a dog until not only I was ready, but also after learning our way around, organizing the house from the shipment of all our things, getting a car, etc. And now we've found the PERFECT dog for our family!

His name is Bodhi and he is a Great Pyrenees mix, as far as we can tell. I've already posted a thread asking this wonderful community to weigh in on what they think he's mixed with! It's got my curiosity going! :ponder:

I pick him up next week. In certain areas around here, adoption is hard for foreigners. We were fortunate to find some volunteers who are liaisons for shelters and more than willing to adopt out to Americans. Bodhi is currently being fostered at a home with a wonderful family, and his foster mom and I have actually become close friends through the whole process!

So that's our story. :) Happy to be here!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hi maya, welcome to the forum! I'm glad you're getting another dog, and I saw her pic on another thread. I think she's pretty!

I'm currently learning Italian on the duolingo app :)

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Welcome to the forums and congrats to the ne dog. :)

I didn't know it was so difficult to get a shelter mix in Italy. I know some people who got them, but most of them were very old (10 years plus) and hunting dogs.
i also heard that Italian shelters are paid by the state per dog, so some tend to rather keep the dogs themselves than to adopt them out though, since a dog less would mean less money.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.